• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Water damage from next door townhouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nikfrz

What is the name of your state? SC
This thread is from a previous post I made today, and I was told it was too long, so I am presenting a condensed version.
I received a flood of water in my bedroom from an improperly installed dishwasher next door. Lady next door comes over the inspect the damage and says they will take care of it and not to worry about it. Affected area of my carpet is damaged (carpet separates from backing, pad comes up in pieces). Their insurance will not cover damages. My insurance says that they will pay, but being an insignificant claim ($1200), my already outrageous premiums will increase. Not an option for me. I call neighbors and ask that we settle this mess among ourselves. They were willing to extract water from carpet and dehumidify and nothing more. By the time they responded, I had already pulled up carpet and installed tile, so I would not have to deal with this again. All I was asking for was cost of replacing carpet. I have pictures, but the carpet is gone. Should I contact an attorney for consultation? Is it going to be worth my time to take this to small claims? What questions should I ask during consultation. I dont want to leave any stone unturned. If anyone would like to read my unabridged version, it is available on this forum. Thanks for your help.

xylene

At $1200 only small claims is going to make much sense.

The paperwork is made to be filled out by just about anyone.

The time is up to you.

I would recommend informing your neighbors in writing of your intent to sue and ask for whatever compromise payment you find realistic. ($999 maybe) and give them 5 days to respond. If not sue in small claims for the damages.

Which would be the value of the depreciated carpet. Not the cost of installing tile.

nikfrz

At $1200 only small claims is going to make much sense.

The paperwork is made to be filled out by just about anyone.

The time is up to you.

I would recommend informing your neighbors in writing of your intent to sue and ask for whatever compromise payment you find realistic. ($999 maybe) and give them 5 days to respond. If not sue in small claims for the damages.

Which would be the value of the depreciated carpet. Not the cost of installing tile.
I realize that this is small claims. However, shouldn't I at least ask for today's market value of the carpet, plus taking my furniture out, and replacing my furniture when the job is done? Somebody has to pay for this. I, being female, cannot haul this furniture out of my bedroom by myself. The 1200 included removing furniture and replacing it. I am not asking for the upgrade to tile. Asking for the depreciation seems messed up to me. I am not asking for a profit from this fiasco. I just want to be made whole. I will absorb the extra expense from upgrading. Should I have my consultant write them a letter of my intent?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">