• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Way to accrue interest on what has become a loan?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

computerfreek12

What is the name of your state? California

Several months ago I made a purchase for an item (US$1150) - long story short the seller never sent the item and still has all the money. I am fairly sure that I can get the money back eventually - it's going to small claims court as soon as the winter break is over (I don't want to deal with possibly not serving the papers and then missing a deadline because of the holiday break).

However, it's extremely frustrating that I've been out of my money this entire time, and even though they've been holding onto it with no right (they keep putting it off - I'll call you back, I'm working on getting the funds sent back to you, the usual end around), and that in the end, it seems like the worst that will happen is that they will just have to pay what they originally took from me. It in effect has become a loan - they've taken and used my money for several months and have never given me anything in return that was in the original deal. Is there anyway I can start calling it a loan, and tell them, "If I don't receive my money back in x days, I will consider this a loan and begin to count interest on the default amount that you owe, which will be reflected in the amount you will need to pay back or the amount that will be claimed in small claims court"?

There has to be some way to punish scam artists like these, right?

moburkes

You will need to sue in small claims court for your money. If you get a judgment, then it will begin to accrue interest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">