• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Web design co. did not complete project

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bryan_karza

What is the name of your state? WV

I hired a web design company in Sep. '06 to write some code for my website and the sales rep said it would take 45 days to complete and cost $3,700. 3 months ago they finally said it was ready but I had to make the final payment before they moved everything to my server. I made the payment but a couple days later -- after emailing the developer -- he answered that the project was 98% complete and they just had a little further testing and debugging to do.

They had discovered that for some unknown reason web pages were taking 3 minutes to load. 2 months later they reported that they had "optimized" the database but the pages still take 10-15 seconds to load even on a T1, so the new website is totally useless since no one's going to pay to browse through 600,000 image and video files at 15-second intervals.

I posted regarding the issue on a php forum and a developer offered to look at their code. After seeing it he said it was simply poorly written and much too complicated for what I needed it to do. He said he could have completed the same project within 3 weeks, and that he would happily assist the developer in resolving the issue.

Last week I emailed the project manager and told him he could either have his programmer work with the other developer to get the project completed in 3 weeks, or refund the last 50% and transfer it through PayPal directly to the other developer and he could write the code from scratch.

His response was "we have done the work" and they would try to make the system run faster, but they had already worked many hours more than they were paid for. In addition to the slow page-loading there are numerous items they agreed to do that are either incomplete or not done at all.

I don't have a contract but I do have a complete history of our email exchanges as well as the invoices for each payment, so should I try to make them issue a full refund by either hiring a lawyer or going to small claims court? The company is based in Georgia.

Thanks very much for your time.What is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">