• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

WebDesigner Gets Nothing...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PoorWebDesigner

What is the name of your state?Texas

I live ouside Houston, and I have some friends that own a performance automotive shop. I am a WebDesigner by trade, and work for Yahoo! Merchant Soloutions as a Supervisor of Tech Support. Basicly, we provide technical help for e-commerce customers.

August 2004...
I was talking about what I did for a living with my friend, lets call him Bob. He said, "Do you think you could make us a website like that?" I told him that I could and that it would be a fun project...

I built them a product catalog with more than 2500 items for them to sell in thier new ecommerce store, when I was finished, I approached bob about payment, I asked him if he would build a custom turbo kit for my car (est. value $3,500) he agreed and we began to select the products that we would use. He told me that they could not purchase anything until the shop had some money because they were broke, I said that was fine and went on with fine tuning the store on a day to day basis.

November 2004...
I still was recieving calls from them to come and fix email issues, or to modify things in the store, pricing and what not, So I again approached Bob and asked him about the turbo kit, and what the status of that was. He basicly avoided the question and said something about the different bills the shop has and how much they were, I once again shrugged this off and went on with assisting them with my knowledge.

January 2005...
My roommate also is friends with the shop, I had informed him that I was getting impatient with them and that I wanted to be paid, He relayed that message to them to which they replied "We arent paying him anything until the e-commerce store makes some money." Once I recieved that information, I immediately closed the store, and changed all passwords concerning the account.

The next day Bob calls me and says that he wants the passwords and I told him that I was not going to give them to him unless he pays me, or gives me a turbo kit. He then threatened me that he was going to kick my a$$ if I did not give them to him and that i better hope that I do not see him on the streets. When he said that I put my cell phone on speakerphone and about 7 people heard him say that.

So what rights do I have against this company? can I sue them for my time and effort? which is around 100 hours of my labor, at $25.00-$50.00 per hour, I am working on getting the log from yahoo that will have every time the account was logged on so that I can find out an exact total hours worked.

Please help!

A Poor Web Designer....

Last edited:

JETX

PoorWebDesigner said:
So what rights do I have against this company?
If you can prove your claims, you have the right to get paid the amount you agreed.... which is "est. value $3,500". And, of course, you would have to return 'their' website as you also agreed.

PoorWebDesigner

since i wrote the first part of this things have changed, my friends have gone around me in the yahoo corp. and had the site turned back on, so basicly that alone vouches for the fact that i did something that they hold value in or they would have not gone to the extremes to get it back. right?

BelizeBreeze

You have the right to file a small claims action against the company, rack up court costs and fees and end up right where you are now.

By your own admission you produced the work in exchange for a sum of services "Once the site made money".

It will be up to you to prove to the court that the site has made money (net not gross) and that the elements of your 'agreement' are satisfied. I was going to suggest you try to work it out with the company by WRITTEN AGREEMENT but since you closed down the site on your own I doubt they will talk to you.

So, sue and take your chances or walk away and realize you don't do diddly without a written contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">