• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wedding cut short

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurley

What is the name of your state? CO

My wife and I recently were married. The problem is that the owners of the site stopped the reception early. I want to sue for breach of contract. Is there a problem with my breach of contract case if I my wife's parents paid most of the money directly to the owners? My wife paid the deposit and what there is of a written agreement was between the owners and my wife & me.

moburkes

The breach of contract would be between the parties of the contract. Who paid doesn't matter. Now, what's the rest of the story? Why was it cut short? What hours were agreed upon in the contract? What time was it stopped?

hurley

I guess the way I'm viewing the contract is that thier obligation was to provide the place and my obligation was to pay. There wasn't much of a written contract, just a reservation form really (it's also a hotel), but the facility reservation form does say it is for our wedding and lists our names on it. No one signed it, but we did pay the deposit and it says so on the reservation form, but I'm worried that they will try to say that the contract was between them and my wifes parents, since they dealt with her parents over the bulk of the payment. Weddings are commonly paid for by the brides parents. Is this worry justified or is this contract obviously between me and them?

Also, you're right. There's a lot more to this story. They basically ended the reception early because they were tired of the music, since they live there. They ended it completely, lights and all, and then it got violent. One of my guest tried to restart things and they physically attacked him.

Needless to say, my wife is very disappointed with the whole thing.

hurley

How is the answer meaningless, and how does it even apply? I'm not asking if the contract was breached, i'm asking if it was valid between me and them or between the wife's parents and them. We don't need any facts of what happened at the event to determine that.

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state? CO

My wife and I recently were married. The problem is that the owners of the site stopped the reception early. I want to sue for breach of contract. Is there a problem with my breach of contract case if I my wife's parents paid most of the money directly to the owners? My wife paid the deposit and what there is of a written agreement was between the owners and my wife & me.
To determine a breach, we need to know when the thing started and when it stopped.

hurley

I don't think there is any question about the breach. It doesn't matter when it started, it does matter that they ended it before it was agreed to end.
My real question is about the contract. I'm trying to determine if there's any likelihood that the contract can be construed to be between them and my wife's parents. I don't want to have my case dismissed because the judge decides I wasn't the real party of the contract because I didn't pay the majority of the money. Anybody?
thanks

Last edited:

panzertanker

I don't think there is any question about the breach. It doesn't matter when it started, it does matter that they ended it before it was agreed to end.
My real question is about the contract. I'm trying to determine if there's any likelihood that the contract can be construed to be between them and my wife's parents. I don't want to have my case dismissed because the judge decides I wasn't the real party of the contract because I didn't pay the majority of the money. Anybody?
thanks
You really are a hard-headed person, huh?

You stated before that "There wasn't much of a written contract, just a reservation form really (it's also a hotel), but the facility reservation form does say it is for our wedding and lists our names on it. No one signed it, but we did pay the deposit and it says so on the reservation form,..."

Take that information and about 100 dollars to a Contract Lawyer to receive your answer.

everafter

You really are a hard-headed person, huh?

You stated before that "There wasn't much of a written contract, just a reservation form really (it's also a hotel), but the facility reservation form does say it is for our wedding and lists our names on it. No one signed it, but we did pay the deposit and it says so on the reservation form,..."

Take that information and about 100 dollars to a Contract Lawyer to receive your answer.
In the words of SeniorJudge, "The answer above is meaningless."

moburkes

In the words of SeniorJudge, "The answer above is meaningless."
No, its NOT AT ALL meaningless. This person who SIGNED A CONTRACT wants to know if s/he is a party to the CONTRACT that s/he signed. THAT is really a silly question. S/he wants to sue for breach of contract, BUT s/he hasn't even written an explanation of the BREACH. Based on what is posted above, THERE IS NO BREACH OF CONTRACT. Therefore, s/he may be LAUGHED out of court!

everafter

No, its NOT AT ALL meaningless. This person who SIGNED A CONTRACT wants to know if s/he is a party to the CONTRACT that s/he signed. THAT is really a silly question. S/he wants to sue for breach of contract, BUT s/he hasn't even written an explanation of the BREACH. Based on what is posted above, THERE IS NO BREACH OF CONTRACT. Therefore, s/he may be LAUGHED out of court!
First of all, if you could read, the person said there was never any signed contract (post #3). They said there was a written reservation form that identified them, but said "NO ONE SIGNED IT". Now, since NOTHING WAS SIGNED, he's left to determine who the agreement was between. Secondly, you are off beating your heads about whether there was a breach. The person never asked about the breach! duh! And they told you that. I agree with hurley that if it was stopped before they agreed to stop it, THERE WAS A BREACH. Why are you worried about what time it started?! He is asking who the agreement was between, so yes, "THE ABOVE ANSWER IS MEANINGLESS"

moburkes

I want to sue for breach of contract.
The breach of contract would be between the parties of the contract.
I guess the way I'm viewing the contract is that thier obligation was to provide the place and my obligation was to pay. There wasn't much of a written contract, just a reservation form really
lasted till 10:30, DJ was contracted till 12, and they had agreed to that.
It is NOT the hotel's responsibility that the bride/groom/whomever CONTRACTED the DJ until 12am. It has NOTHING to do with the contract between the 2 parties.

So, where did the poster state that there was an agreement until 12am with the facility? They didn't STATE what the written reservation form says. So, why don't YOU let us know what agreement that the hotel breached, since you are privvy to information that the rest of us aren't privvy to?

And, by the way, you need to RE-READ. I never asked what time it started. Thanks for nothing.

BelizeBreeze

First of all, if you could read, the person said there was never any signed contract (post #3). They said there was a written reservation form that identified them, but said "NO ONE SIGNED IT". Now, since NOTHING WAS SIGNED, he's left to determine who the agreement was between. Secondly, you are off beating your heads about whether there was a breach. The person never asked about the breach! duh! And they told you that. I agree with hurley that if it was stopped before they agreed to stop it, THERE WAS A BREACH. Why are you worried about what time it started?! He is asking who the agreement was between, so yes, "THE ABOVE ANSWER IS MEANINGLESS"
I suggest you entertain the idea of attending law school. It might help cure your legal ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">