• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wedding Fiasco

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ms.Amanda

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD
About one year ago, my fiance and I placed a $200 non-refundable deposite with a wedding officiant. Three weeks before the wedding, we send her our wedding ceremony. The sends back an email in all capital letters refusing to perform the ceremony, demanding she be allowed to sing, and furthermore stating that she wants the ceremony put back the way she had it (she had previously said we were free to change things) or she is keeping the deposit and not performing the ceremony.
My question here is under what legal grounds can I take her to small claims court? Would I possibly win my deposit back because she now refuses to perform a ceremony where we are still able to uphold our end of the contract?
Also, in what jurisdiction? She lives in Pennslyvania, we met with her in Harford County MD, signed in Baltimore County Md (mailed her the contract), and are getting married in Prince Georges County MD.
I would appreciate any advice and guidance.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD
About one year ago, my fiance and I placed a $200 non-refundable deposite with a wedding officiant. Three weeks before the wedding, we send her our wedding ceremony. The sends back an email in all capital letters refusing to perform the ceremony, demanding she be allowed to sing, and furthermore stating that she wants the ceremony put back the way she had it (she had previously said we were free to change things) or she is keeping the deposit and not performing the ceremony.
My question here is under what legal grounds can I take her to small claims court? Would I possibly win my deposit back because she now refuses to perform a ceremony where we are still able to uphold our end of the contract?
Also, in what jurisdiction? She lives in Pennslyvania, we met with her in Harford County MD, signed in Baltimore County Md (mailed her the contract), and are getting married in Prince Georges County MD.
I would appreciate any advice and guidance.

**A: let me give you some real advice. Forget about her and move on. I have heard her sing and believe me I'd pay her the $200 to keep quiet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">