• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What address do I use to sue?...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MellowCat

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I'm in the process of taking a trash company to small claims court. They're listed as an LLC.

The court requires the authorized agent for service's name on the statement of claim. I've got that info, but don't know what address to list on the form.

The State furnished me the guy's address, and it looks like his PERSONAL residence. The State didn't guarantee it was still a valid address. My instinct is to use the company's BUSINESS address, but I'm sort of confused on which one to list on the paperwork. The guy's residence or the business? I'm guessing they'll use it to send the guy a summons or something.

Thanks for any advice.

johnacastro

Registered Agent

Don't pay attention to the last posting, he's wrong.

You have to serve the Registered Agent of Service. If you serve the company directly, they can and most likely will reject it because you're not following legal guidelines.

A Registered Agent of Service's job is to accept, sort, and deliver legal documents to their clients, in this case the garbage company.

Also, be careful. They are an LLC, that means Limited Liability Corporation, which in some cases means they are not or very limitedly liable, aka responsible.

Send the Citation to the address of the Registered Agent of Service.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Don't pay attention to the last posting, he's wrong.

You have to serve the Registered Agent of Service. If you serve the company directly, they can and most likely will reject it because you're not following legal guidelines.

A Registered Agent of Service's job is to accept, sort, and deliver legal documents to their clients, in this case the garbage company.

Also, be careful. They are an LLC, that means Limited Liability Corporation, which in some cases means they are not or very limitedly liable, aka responsible.

Send the Citation to the address of the Registered Agent of Service.
What is YOUR legal background? The judge was correct that she can serve them at BOTH addresses.

dcatz

SJ is correct in the sense that you could serve either the authorized manager at the place of business or the registered agent and effect good service. But, heck, if being an LLC means, in some cases, “they are not or very limitedly liable, aka responsible”, why sue them at all? Yours could be one of those cases and you automatically lose. (What hogwash!)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">