• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is an affidavit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RTF

I am considering taking someone to small claims court in a fraud case in Texas. I have been told that I should have an affidavit from an expert. What exactly is and affidavit? Can it just be a typed and signed letter? Does it need to be notarized? Can an affidavit be used as expert testimony with out them being able to be cross examined?
Thanks Ryan

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

RTF said:
I am considering taking someone to small claims court in a fraud case in Texas. I have been told that I should have an affidavit from an expert. What exactly is and affidavit? Can it just be a typed and signed letter? Does it need to be notarized? Can an affidavit be used as expert testimony with out them being able to be cross examined?
Thanks Ryan

My response:

Who told you this information?

IAAL

R

RTF

One of the attorneys in this "Legal Club of America" left me a message that I should be looking into a small claims case because of the dollar amount of damages is just over $4,200 and thats all that I want. He also advised me that I should have an affidavit from a expert in this particular field (race engines and performance) stating that the engine that I bought was materially different than the ad, have a copy of the ad and have copies of the emails between the two of us.
Was he leading me down the wrong path? Do I need to bring the expert with me? If I need the expert and judgment in my favor is awarded, will he be entitled to pay his expenses also?
Thanks Ryan

R

RTF

Not to my knowledge. The promise a lot, like free advise but then ask questions that don't have anything to do with finding a solution. Not really very helpful people, you know what I'm talking about don't you.
Ryan

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

First, you need to understand something about this site. We are, for a small part, attorneys. As attorneys, we're not usually found in Small Claims courts and, as such, sometimes the rules need to be researched. Simply stated, we're not "used" to practicing in Small Claims court - - at least, I'm not.

But, like most attorneys who are unsophisticated with small claims, and because small claims courts are designed for unsophisticated litigants with no knowledge of the rules of evidence, relevant hearsay evidence is admissible . . . subject only to the law of privileges and to Ca Evid § 352 (discretionary exclusion where evidentiary burdens outweigh benefits). [Houghtaling v. Sup.Ct. (Rossi) (1993) 17 Cal.App.4th 1128, 1139, 21 Cal.Rptr.2d 855, 861--affidavit by out-of-state witness admissible in small claims hearing]

Because small claims proceedings are conducted "informally" (see Ca Civ Pro § 116.110 et seq.), the hearsay rule does not apply in actions brought in small claims court (or on a superior court trial de novo). [Houghtaling v. Sup.Ct. (Rossi) (1993) 17 Cal.App.4th 1128, 1139, 21 Cal.Rptr.2d 855, 861--court erred in refusing to consider out-of-state witness' affidavit]

So, yes, and despite the fact that the above is California law, your affidavit "should" be accepted by the court because I can't imagine that the laws of Small Claims would be THAT dramatically different from one State to the next. Remember, Small Claims is the "People's Court."

IAAL

Last edited:

JETX

"I should be looking into a small claims case because of the dollar amount of damages is just over $4,200 and thats all that I want."
*** Texas limit for small claims is $5000 so that amount would be appropriate for small claims.

"He also advised me that I should have an affidavit from a expert in this particular field (race engines and performance) stating that the engine that I bought was materially different than the ad, have a copy of the ad and have copies of the emails between the two of us."
*** The affidavit could be useful in establishing a third party opinion, but most courts look dimly on them due to the fact that the paper can't be questioned or viewed to determine its 'credibility' as a person can.

"Was he leading me down the wrong path?"
*** Yes and no.

"Do I need to bring the expert with me?"
*** If at all possible, that is your best action.

"If I need the expert and judgment in my favor is awarded, will he be entitled to pay his expenses also?"
*** You can certainly ask the court to include them (up to the $5k limit) and, depending on the value to your case, the court could include them in your judgment amount.

Texas Rules of Civil Procedure, Rule 131:
Successful Party to Recover
The successful party to a suit shall recover of his adversary all costs incurred therein, except where otherwise provided.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">