• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is an "agent"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dan54

New York State

My local municipal board has refused to pay replacement costs after admitting liability and promising to do so in a letter dated the day caused damage to my property.

It is using the disclaimer on the insurance check to do so, which reads; "Full and final payment of any and all claims resulting from an accident occuring on or about 10/12/04"

Before signing and cashing the check my wife and I called the municipal to clarify the meaning and to find out if cashing the check would exempt any further claims. The municipal stated that it didn't know and refered us to the insurance representative handling the case. We believe that when this occured, that representative became an agent of the municipal. We were told by that agent that signing and cashing the check did not release any other claims involving this issue. The disclaimer, we were told, was only to protect the insurance company from duplicate claims. In fact, we have recieved further reimbursment from the insurance company since the cashing of that check.

I had suspected the municipal's intent to avoid full reimbursement and as a result, I have contacted the New York State Public Services Commission. It responded by issuing a grace period in order to reach an agreement. That grace period expired at the time of the municipal's refusal to pay, which was Friday the 7th.

I suspect but need to confirm the fact that lawyers are allowed in our local small claims court.
Because of this, I feel quite intimidated by the idea of taking this to small claims, if in fact, lawyers are allowed in.

I am not sure if I should let the NYPSC handle this or if I should file in small claims. In any event, I need to know the legal definition of an "agent".

Any advice is welcome. Anyone who can cite the definition of an "agent" I would be most grateful to.

Dan

S

seniorjudge

An agent is a representative who acts on behalf of other persons or organizations.

Small claims deals with money only.

I do not know if the PSC can give you money damages in NY; I doubt it, so ask them for sure.

Dan54

Ok

Thanks for your insight, which is not legal advice. I will ask the PSC. :)

Do you have a definition of the word "imply"?

I'm thinking in terms of "implied agent". I have been searching and I only come up with "implied warrenty".

Thanks,

Dan

S

seniorjudge

Dan54 said:
Thanks for your insight, which is not legal advice. I will ask the PSC. :)

Do you have a definition of the word "imply"?

I'm thinking in terms of "implied agent". I have been searching and I only come up with "implied warrenty".

Thanks,

Dan

You asked the question:
Anyone who can cite the definition of an "agent" I would be most grateful to.

I answered the question.

I also gave you some exceptionally good advice.

So just what is your problem?

Dan54

No Problem

I have no problem. You did give me some excellent advice, for which I am grateful. I am simply ignorant. Does that offend you?

BL

The municipal stated that it didn't know and refered us to the insurance representative handling the case.
Another name for the insurance representative in this case = AGENT .

PSC http://www.dps.state.ny.us/help.html

The PSC purpose is to determine by investigation if the municipality was in the wrong, so to speak .

If the PSC find that the municipality was in the wrong , the municipality may have a chance to challenge their findings, or simply rectify the matter with the consumer .

I myself have used a PSC complaint to get a municipally to rectify a wrong .

In your complaint you should name the municipality . If you are unsure of who to name ,there is the contact info. to find out at their site also .

Last edited:

Dan54

Thanks

I will be calling the PSC tomorro with a number of questions, before deciding as to how I will proceed.
I have spent the day researching and have come up with what I believe is a strong legal stance. I still have to support it though.

Thanks

Dan

BTW: I think this is a wonderful site to help novices such as myself with legal issues.

S

seniorjudge

Some public utility commissions do not regulate municipal utilities. If your commission does not do this, then you will have to go to the municipality itself.

You can file a complaint with the commission and with the small claims court; they are not mutually exclusive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">