• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can be filed for in small claims?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MidnighToker

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

Initial facts: Both laptops are identical model HPs that were purchased on Feb 6, 2009. They both had an additional 3-year "Accidental Protection Warranty" (directly from HP) added to them immediately (well, Feb 12, 2009 which was when they were received and registered). Effectively extending these warranties until Dec 2012 (which has been confirmed multiple times from HP).

I am considering taking then to small claims for the cost of these laptops and the warranties as they have had CONSTANT problems that are re-occurring.

Additionally, my laptop that was sent in for repairs in August, 2011 with 4 things needing to be done. Only one of those 4 was actually done although they claimed to have done more (I will put those details at the end rather than bore you). Less than a month later, my initial suspicion that hey did not repair my loose hinges (was on original list) proved true when one hinged completely snapped clean through when simply opening the screen. Had no choice but to send it back once again for repair. This time the hinge was repaired as well as some of the minor issues such as the touchpad. Unfortunately it returned with other things now newly broken.

Now for me to return my personal laptop for repair is HUGE inconvenience that take quite a considerable time every time it goes out to them and then when it comes back. Since I do not run a "Factory Supported" configuration, I have to do a very detailed backup which generally takes about 6-7 hours. (**WARNING tech geek details, but am not sure if relevant. I run Linux from a 2nd harddrive so that I can leave the "Factory Supported" system largely untouched, but to do that I have to do the fore mentioned backup, then remove my additional hard drive and modify it so that it will boot "Factory Supported". So it is more than a full days work to prepare it for return. When it is returned have to perform the exact same in reverse except the restore will last closer to 12 hours due to verification...that runs overnight) This has a HUGE impact on me because that laptop is used to attempt to run a small personal business that can't keep it's head above water even when I have the laptop (requires heavy online and technical interaction..no, no webcam service or anything anywhere near those lines :eek:)

So my actual question:
Can I include any of the time and inconvenience in this claim or just the actual price out of my pocket?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">