• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dt1154

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My ex-husband and I separated in May, 1998 and he moved to another state (IN). We were divorced in 2002 because that was when I finally had the money to pay for the divorce. He didn't pay for any of it.

He accrued a medical bill in August of 1999 and never paid the bill. I received a letter in the mail on May 5th that my wages would be garnished for the bill ($181.00) plus $42.00 court costs and they WERE garneished on the 8th. I called the attorney representing this company and told his secretary that I should have at least been warned that this whole thing was in the process and she said they mailed me an "Order to Appear" but for some reason they had sent it to my ex-husband and his girlfriend's home in the other state.

I asked why they didn't garnish his wages and she said they couldn't find him because he is an over the road truck driver and I was just as responsible for this bill I knew nothing about because I was still legally married to him and I could get reimbursed from him. (That'll be the day!) Not to mention this garnishment goes on my credit report.

They "mailed" me a letter to his address, couldn't they mail a letter to him at his address also? We've never lived together since we separated. This whole thing seems totally unfair to me.

Do I have any recourse? Its not worth hiring an attorney just to realize the $223.00 but sure do hate to have him get away with yet another thing.

Ladynred

Just because you were married to him is pure nonsense !! Neither IL nor IN are community property states, YOU are not responsible for HIS debts any more than he is responsible for YOURS ! They pulled a real fast one on you to say the least. If you want to pursue this you have a couple of choices. Contest the judgment (improper service is the place to start) and the garnishment. You weren't liable for that debt and they wrongfully garnished your wages to pay it !!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">