• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mjmudgett

Arizona
My boyfriend and I lived together for 6 years but have lived apart for the last year. Unfortunately he passed away 2 weeks ago and his mother has stepped out of no where to take control. She threw away most of mine and my son's belongings from the house and now refuses to understand that everything in that house was bought by the to of us. I tried to explain this to her several times but she doesn't seem to care. I feel as though my only hope of holding on to what little is left, is to sue her for what is rightfully mine. I know I can prove that the two of us paid for everything and I have pictures that prove some of the things in the house were mine before we ever met. I also had family aerlumes in the house that she acts as though I should have to prove that they are mine and I will.
Please help me before it is to late and all I have left of our life together are the memories.

JETX

mjmudgett said:
Please help me before it is to late and all I have left of our life together are the memories.
Have you ever thought to change the locks on the doors and not let her in??
Gee, that was simple!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mjmudgett said:
Arizona
My boyfriend and I lived together for 6 years but have lived apart for the last year. Unfortunately he passed away 2 weeks ago and his mother has stepped out of no where to take control. She threw away most of mine and my son's belongings from the house and now refuses to understand that everything in that house was bought by the to of us. I tried to explain this to her several times but she doesn't seem to care. I feel as though my only hope of holding on to what little is left, is to sue her for what is rightfully mine. I know I can prove that the two of us paid for everything and I have pictures that prove some of the things in the house were mine before we ever met. I also had family aerlumes in the house that she acts as though I should have to prove that they are mine and I will.

My response:

This is what can happen to people who don't get married, and have no protections under the marital laws.

Good luck proving this "he said / she said" situation; but, quite frankly, I think you're screwed.

IAAL

Veronica1228

What the heck are aerlumes? Is it a cross between an heirloom and a legume? So that would make it a bean that has been in the family for a long time? Different strokes, I guess. :confused:

I'll stick with my grandmother's china.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">