• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

triton69

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I made a purchase off of e-bay from someone who lives in California. Of the items that I purchased, one is missing and the other is damaged. This is for the amount of $900.00. I paid for insurance on the shipping, but the person that I bought this from chose to keep the money and not buy the insurance so that UPS would have taken care of this.

Can I sue someone in small claims who lives out of state? Any other legal options as he is not returning my e-mails? He did state that he would take care of this, but has then since vanished.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

triton69 said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois

I made a purchase off of e-bay from someone who lives in California. Of the items that I purchased, one is missing and the other is damaged. This is for the amount of $900.00. I paid for insurance on the shipping, but the person that I bought this from chose to keep the money and not buy the insurance so that UPS would have taken care of this.

Can I sue someone in small claims who lives out of state? Any other legal options as he is not returning my e-mails? He did state that he would take care of this, but has then since vanished.

My response:

Sure, you can sue the person. California is beautiful this time of year! C'mon out and spend wads of money!

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

triton69 said:
I would have to go to California to sue him?

My response:

Ah, yes. I can see the light bulb is turning on!

And you thought it would be just so much FUN making purchases from the comfort of your home computer. Well, it ain't so much "fun" any more, is it?

Next time, you'll use your computer for other things, and not getting cheated from across state lines by people you've never seen! I'll bet you've learned a real good, expensive, lesson about on-line shopping - - haven't you?

Now you know it's going to cost you bundles in order to get "justice."

Good luck!

IAAL

ljb105

If you haven't done so already, file a dispute on ebay under Item not received or Significantly not as described. Ebay can reimburse you up to $200 if you qualify.. Also if the item was paid for via paypal, you can file a claim there as well.. Paypal protection covers up to $1000...
Good Luck...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">