• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"What can I do if a company does not send me Validation of a debt?"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yodajedimaster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

I am being sued by a company for a debt that I don't believe I owe because I was a victim of credit fraud. I sent letters of validation of debt on more than one occasion to not only the company but the lawyer’s office handling the case. When I received the summons for court the affidavit attached to the court papers was not dated by either the person swearing to the documents or the notery. Can I get the paper work thrown out of court as hearsay or is there something else that I might do?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

I am being sued by a company for a debt that I don't believe I owe because I was a victim of credit fraud. I sent letters of validation of debt on more than one occasion to not only the company but the lawyer’s office handling the case. When I received the summons for court the affidavit attached to the court papers was not dated by either the person swearing to the documents or the notery. Can I get the paper work thrown out of court as hearsay or is there something else that I might do?
You are in over your head. Debt validation doesn't apply once you've been sued. You will need to follow the rules of discovery.

Is this your debt?

yodajedimaster

I requested validation before I was sued. It was after I requested it that they sued me. The orginal request was in Sept. and got notice of law suit in Jan. With my credit file being merged with someone elses I really can't say yes or no if it is my debt that is why I requested validation from the company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">