• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do? (really long)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lloe86

What is the name of your state? Nevada

Very lengthy sorry.I just figured as long as you know everything it would help. I'm probably out of luck and too late but I thought I would ask anyway.

My boyfriend (Jason), My ex-roommate (Alicia), And I decided to move into some really nice (and expensive) apartments. It is a 2 bedroom with a den. We all agreed on this apartment because Jason's brother(Eric) would move into the little room and help to make rent cheaper for all. Jason's brother was under 18 and still in high school when we signed the 9 month lease in April. So he was not put on the lease nor had he moved in yet. Jason and I had covered his part of the rent until he was able to move in, in July.

Well, the end of June comes and Jason's brother moved in a couple things and paid his rent for July. The night before July 1st comes and Alicia decides to tell me that she is moving out the next day. She said that she would pay for July but that was it. I told her we needed her to pay her part of the rent until we could find a replacement. Jason and I started calling our friends as soon as she left to try and find a replacement ourselves.

When she had come the next day(with her sister and brother) to move her stuff. I asked her how she planned to get off the lease and she said she was just going to sign herself off. I spoke to the office earlier that day and they said she is not allowed to just sign herself off. The other roommates needed to sign her off. The only thing she could do was to sign a paper that broke the lease in everyones name. (with a $2000 charge) I spoke to a lady in the office and she said she could change it to need all three signatures to break the lease. So I had told Alicia what the lady in the office told me. We had agreed that she would pay her part of the rent until we could find a replacement. Once a replacement was found we would sign her off the lease.

A few days later, after she consults with her new roommate (Ashley, her brothers very recent ex-fiance) she decided to come back with Ashley (who I'm sure is the mastermind behind all this) and say that she went to the office and they told her that she could sign a paper and break the lease in everyones name. I told her I had that changed and she said they are not allowed to do that. So I went back to the office and spoke to the 'Manager' (who was actually the assistant manager I found out a week later) who said the one signature requirement cannot be changed. She also told me that all I could do was let Alicia off the lease or else Alicia could take me to court to let her off the lease. I asked her what I could do to protect myself and she just kept saying just let her off the lease or I could get in trouble. She was very rude and didn't try to help me or let me know anything about my rights and what I can do to protect us. I guess as long as they get their money they don't care what happens.

So then Alicia comes (with Ashley) the next day with the paper so we could sign her off the lease. I told her I am not going to sign it because Eric won't be 18 until August and Jason and I don't make enough money to be on the lease by ourselves. Then she said we could sign the paper now and date it for when he turns 18. So we could apply with him on the lease instead. I told her I would sign it the day he turns 18. She was about to leave when Ashley said NO you sign it now or else Alicia is going to go to the office to get you all evicted. To which I replied then she will have to pay the $2000 to pay to break the lease. She said no she doesn't because she is getting everyone evicted for having an unauthorized person living in the apartment. She showed me where in the lease it said not allowing other people to live in our apartment. She said I had to sign the lease right then or else. So I signed the paper because I didn't want to get evicted. She also mentioned that she was not going to pay her part nor look for someone to replace her. We would also have pay an application fee for eric and sign a new lease.

We had been beat. So August comes and we go to turn in the paperwork so we could sign the new lease. The lady in the office said she will call us the next Monday (August 14th) when she would have the new lease ready to sign. We still have not received a call. If when we do sign a new lease the lease says we have to start a new 9 months so will we have to? We can barely afford that place and the old lease is over in January so we had wanted to move out then. Or can it just take over the rest of the other lease and be over in January? If there is nothing we can do and we have to do an additional nine months from now is there a way I can make Alicia help pay for the extra part considering the whole reason we had to extend the lease was because of her? Or can we just ask them to change the new lease to end at the same time the old lease was going to end?

I was just wondering is there anything I could do. I know I already signed the paper to let her out of the lease so I'm probably out of luck but I thought I would ask. But she knew Eric was going to move in that was the only reason we would move into a really nice apartment complex. I am just very aggrevated. I don't mean to sound vengeful but I just wish she had to pay something! She didn't have to pay a dime out of this whole ordeal and it is costing us over $2000. Is there a stupid suit or anything I could do to make her pay even though we already let her off the lease because she knew Eric was moving in so the rent would be cheaper for everyone? Could I sue her friend ashley for talking her into moving out and costing us money? I don't mean to sound like evil or anything but this whole thing is just unfair. Please help. And if there was something I left out and you would like to know please ask.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">