• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I legally do to get money from a person who owes a settlement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Parent2KL

Lake county Indiana
By what means can be used to collect money owed from a lawsuit? Finding these people was half the battle and now that I havehis place of employment and address of last known address. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sandyclaus

Lake county Indiana
By what means can be used to collect money owed from a lawsuit? Finding these people was half the battle and now that I havehis place of employment and address of last known address. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Indiana laws allow for wage garnishment (the first 75% is exempt, leaving the maximum wage garnishment at 25% of disposable income). Bank accounts can be levied, but the first $4,000 is exempt. You could place a lien on vehicles (no exemption amount, but if their vehicle is a junker, that would be a waste of time) or real property.

You'll soon learn that getting the judgment is the easy part. The hard part is actually collecting the money from the debtor. Depending on the amount of the judgment, you might consider hiring a collection agency to do the collecting for you, but they charge for that service. If the fees are steep, that may not be worth the effort in the amount you lose from the total judgment.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Was this a settlement (as stated in the title of your thread), or was it a judgement?

Zigner

See http://www.in.gov/judiciary/files/small-claims-manual.pdf (beginning on page 17) for more information.

Zigner

How did you manage to get a small claims judgement for $9,500.00 in Indiana when the maximum amount small claims in Indiana deals with is $6,500.00? :confused:

Parent2KL

How did you manage to get a small claims judgement for $9,500.00 in Indiana when the maximum amount small claims in Indiana deals with is $6,500.00? :confused:
I didnt realize that I posted in small claims. Sorry, it was late when I posted this and I was on my phone. Thank you all for the help. I have everything I need:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">