• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

auggie

What is the name of your state? Indiana

A plumber came out to our house and unclogged the kitchen drain.

Three days later it backed up again.

We called the same company and were told by the secretary that they would send out a plumber and warranty the service "unless we had put a children's toy down the drain."

One of their plumbers showed up the following morning(a Saturday) and told us the service would not be warrantied. "We don't warranty this kind of stuff," he said.

He went out to his truck, called his office, and came back in to say the service would not be warrantied. He asked if we still wanted any work done. I said yes, although we wanted to call the office and clear up the confusion. He went to look at the drain while my wife called. The same secretary who told us the service would be warrantied now said that that was a misunderstanding. It would not be warrantied.

After my wife hung up the phone and I talked to her for a minute, I asked the plumber to leave, that we would not be using their company for this job. While we were on the phone, he had unfastened the catch. He spent a minute putting it back and then left without saying a word.

A few weeks later we received a bill for $168, $100 of which was for the weekend service call and $68 for work done.

We called the office and the vice president said he would look into the matter and get back to us. He never did. We received another bill. I wrote a 2-page letter explaining all of the above plus some. We never got a response.

Now the company has sent the bill to collection.

Is there anything I can do to stop the collection? Is there a case here for small claims court?

Thanks in advance for reading and considering.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">