• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to do with abandoned property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cece51

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

My mother in law had an alteration business in the state of Missouri. She had this business from 1997 until her passing last week. We went into the store and there are tons of fabric, sewing equipment and finished clothing for customers. Some of the tags on the clothing are from orders as far back as 2004. We posted a sign in the window explaining effective immediately the store was out of business. We also added a section in the letter explaining all unclaimed property must be picked up by Dec.12, 2010. We also changed her answering machine and stated the same as the sign in the window. Her landlord wants us out by the end of December. My mother in law's lease wasn't going to be renewed, so we knew when she was alive that we had to move the property. However we didn't know it was merely older unclaimed clothing

Now we are left without direction and we don't want to get into legal troubles with her customers. Majority of the newer finished items were claimed this past Sunday, but we have those older items. There are 4 closets about 7 to 9 feet long with clothes hanging in them. She had 4 signs on the wall stating "items left after 60 days of completion will be disposed" "not responsible for items left after 60 days"

I"m wondering if we need to put a sign stating this in the window. Or can we just have Goodwill or a church pick all of this stuff up. Please advice, thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">