• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what do I put in the memo field of my check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NJGonzo

What is the name of your state?I live in NJ.

My x-boyfriend claims that I owe him money which I do not owe him. (He wants $412.00 to cancell a vacation he booked for himself, myself and his father) He gave me an itimized list of things I owe him money for and I have agreed to pay him for 2 things. 1st I agreed to pay to cancell my plane ticket ($50.00 directlyto the airline.) Second I agreed to pay him $12.00 that he incurred because I stopped payment on my original check to him when I realized he was making me pay for his father and him as well. (I am poor, I can't even afford to giv him this money to just make him go away.) So here is my question. When I send him a check for $12.00, what do I write in the memo field? I want to make sure that whatever I write does not leave me open to admitting I owe him more money. Also, I would like, if possible, it to have some kind of legal binding wording that spells out that this is the balance in full, and that I no longer owe him anything, not even the money I originally wrote the check out for then stopped payment on. This guy is crazy and he wont go away. He keeps threatening to bring me to court so I want to make sure I cover myself as best as possible in case I do end up in court.

Thank you all in advance for your help. Please only reply with serious posts, I know I was stupid to get involved with this guy in the 1st place and now Im just trying to put this mess behind me.

JETX

NJGonzo said:
When I send him a check for $12.00, what do I write in the memo field?
Pretty simple. Send him a letter (certified RRR) saying something like:
"Enclosed is check #____ in the amount of $12.00. This is payment in FULL for the fees you incurred due to my placing a 'stop pay' on previous check #______." Include the check (better to be a money order... so that he doesn't get your bank information....which could be used against you if he were to get a judgment!).

Then, in the memo field (or on the back of the check/Money order, near the top), say: "Payment in Full for fees incurred due to 'stop pay' on check."

Also, I would like, if possible, it to have some kind of legal binding wording that spells out that this is the balance in full, and that I no longer owe him anything, not even the money I originally wrote the check out for then stopped payment on.
Of course you could include that 'blanket release' in your letter and endorsement.... however, that will only increase the chance of this saga continuing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">