• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What documentation holds-up in court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VaConsumer

I purchased furniture online in January, 2008. The company I ordered from immediately took payment from my credit card yet never delivered the furniture. I canceled my order in June and requested a refund. I received confirmation of my cancellation but I have yet received my refund.

I ordered this furniture online from a company registered in the state of NY. I received confirmation of my order via email. I canceled my order via email and also received my cancellation confirmation via email. When asked about my refund (via email), the customer service representative said there was nothing she could do. She said the terminal she used to charge me has been changed-out, so now she can't issue me a refund on my credit card. She went on to say that there is no other way to give me my money back (!?) She told me to dispute the charge with my credit card company, who then said we are well past the federally restricted 60 day dispute window. So they couldn't get my money back for me. All these items are detailed in emails.

Would email confirmations and discussions qualify as documentation in a small claims court?

Also, does anyone have experience with NYC Small Claims Courts? Apparently you can choose among several courts and you can choose a judge or an arbitrator to hear your case. If anyone has any tips or advice on pursuing a claim in the small claims court (especially NYC), please send them my way.

erikill

I purchased furniture online in January, 2008. The company I ordered from immediately took payment from my credit card yet never delivered the furniture. I canceled my order in June and requested a refund. I received confirmation of my cancellation but I have yet received my refund.

I ordered this furniture online from a company registered in the state of NY. I received confirmation of my order via email. I canceled my order via email and also received my cancellation confirmation via email. When asked about my refund (via email), the customer service representative said there was nothing she could do. She said the terminal she used to charge me has been changed-out, so now she can't issue me a refund on my credit card. She went on to say that there is no other way to give me my money back (!?) She told me to dispute the charge with my credit card company, who then said we are well past the federally restricted 60 day dispute window. So they couldn't get my money back for me. All these items are detailed in emails.

Would email confirmations and discussions qualify as documentation in a small claims court?

Also, does anyone have experience with NYC Small Claims Courts? Apparently you can choose among several courts and you can choose a judge or an arbitrator to hear your case. If anyone has any tips or advice on pursuing a claim in the small claims court (especially NYC), please send them my way.
I tell ppl time and time again, as I see on here. The minute you have issues DISPUTE it on your CC, don't ever wait on the vendor.

In terms of documents, you show them your CC bill and no proof of delivery. They never delivered what you purchased. That's about all you need. Also do not do arbitration, you generally have to pay for the service. Just serve them and be done with it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">