• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What does "renote" mean?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Brookeley

What is the name of your state? Washington

I sued a person in small claims court for money he owed on my credit card. When we went to mediation, he agreed to pay $100 per month (including all interest) until it is paid off. That was last year and I still have not received a payment, I have been making the payments myself.

I sent the court a letter explaining that he was not paying, and they advanced the review date to January. Because I have since moved to Texas, my parents were allowed to go to court for me (I had my mother listed on the original papers).

Two bad things happened: my parents did not realize that I was owed interest and back-payments... and neither did the judge, even though it was all in writing in the court file.

When I found out what had happened, I sent the judge copies of the original settlement agreement, the credit card bill, and all of the receipts from payments I have made. I also sent a letter explaining the situation and requesting the estimated interest and all of the back payments.

He wrote me back saying that he could not speculate on interest and could only award a finite amount, and the judgement in Janurary stands. THEN he said that "you may renote this matter with notice to the other party then I can reconsider the amount of the judgment."

I called the small claims office and talked to two different ladies. One said I had to file in small claims all over again, and the other said all I had to do was write a letter, but she wouldn't tell me what to put in that letter because she isn't allowed to give legal advice.

If anyone can tell me what "renote" means, and what kind of letter I should write, and what should be in it, I would be very grateful.

Brooke Gatti

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">