• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happened after court judgment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

[email protected]

Massachusetts,

Dear Advice Forum,

Back several years, I leased a place for my small business. The lease increased every year uneasonably so I did not agree to pay the increase amount. We went to the court and unfortunately, the landlord won the case and the judgement was that I have to pay the landlord the accumulated increase amount of $5,000.00.

I was disappointed and thought it was unfair so I never paid the landlord. I sold my business a year after that and never heard of the landlord until a week ago. So a week ago, I received a letter from his lawyer asking me to pay the amount and threatening that if I don't not agree to pay, he will place a levy on my real property or seize my personal property.

Can he really place a levy on my house(I have a mortgage on the house so technically it is still owned by the mortgage lender)? Or can he really seize my personnal property? Could you please tell me what else he can do if I do not agree to pay and what I can do for me? (Can I appeal the court order?)

Thank you very much for your advice.

AL

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Maybe it's time to pay your debt. I understand that you don't wanna pay, but seriously. You owe it.

sandyclaus

Massachusetts,

Dear Advice Forum,

Back several years, I leased a place for my small business. The lease increased every year uneasonably so I did not agree to pay the increase amount. We went to the court and unfortunately, the landlord won the case and the judgement was that I have to pay the landlord the accumulated increase amount of $5,000.00.

I was disappointed and thought it was unfair so I never paid the landlord. I sold my business a year after that and never heard of the landlord until a week ago. So a week ago, I received a letter from his lawyer asking me to pay the amount and threatening that if I don't not agree to pay, he will place a levy on my real property or seize my personal property.

Can he really place a levy on my house(I have a mortgage on the house so technically it is still owned by the mortgage lender)? Or can he really seize my personnal property? Could you please tell me what else he can do if I do not agree to pay and what I can do for me? (Can I appeal the court order?)

Thank you very much for your advice.

AL
Seriously? The time for disputing the VALIDITY of that former LL's claim against you has come and gone. The court made it's decision and it's judgment - entered AGAINST YOU. And because it has been several years since the court has entered it's judgment against you, you can be pretty sure that the time to appeal that judgment has long since passed.

Since you have not voluntarily paid anything on the judgment, the judgment creditor (your former LL) can take whatever steps and use any processes legally permissible in your state to collect the outstanding debt. Including placing a lien on your real property and/or seizing any personal property to satisfy the debt.

Seems that the advice you will receive here is clear - pay up or face the consequences.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">