• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happens if I default on a payment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jredrum

What is the name of your state? IL

I was recently sued by an apartment complex for $2350. I have to pay that from my next 5 paychecks. I have paid $1000 already, but it doesn't look like I will be able to make the next payment. What happens if I pay later than the due date that the court set?

racer72

I am assuming a judgment was granted against you. Miss your payment and the judgment holder can probably proceed with garnishing your wages and bank account and placing liens against property you own. Or worse, you get called back to court to explain yourself and the judge may tack on some more interest too.

Jredrum

racer72 said:
I am assuming a judgment was granted against you. Miss your payment and the judgment holder can probably proceed with garnishing your wages and bank account and placing liens against property you own. Or worse, you get called back to court to explain yourself and the judge may tack on some more interest too.
Yes, a judgement was against me. However if they do try to garnish my wages, isn't only 15% of the check allowed to be taken out? If that is the case I think I would be better off, then $500 per check having to go to them. lol

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">