• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happens if I skip trial if I'm a witness?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pinfratel

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?minnesota

I am the main witness for a case from a previous place of employment. The person is suing "jane doe and company". So I'm also the defendent. The judge gave a 6 week block of when the case will be heard. for one of those weeks in the block I will be out of state and I told the lawyer this and I was basically told that it could be scheduled during that time and sounded like if it was then too bad for me. The thing out of state is not something I cannot get out off. What I want to know is what would happen if I just didn't show up for trial if the trial date were picked was during that week? Would I face any legal repercussions?

Last edited:

tijerin

You could be found in contempt of court and face whatever consequences that would entail in your state.

S

seniorjudge

"...What happens if I skip trial if I'm a witness?..."

You get a free tour of the county facilities.

Oh...I'm sorry.

Did I say free? No, they will make you pay for your jail stay.

Judges take it real personal when you turn down their inviations.

JETX

pinfratel said:
I'm also the defendent.
And since you are a DEFENDANT and don't show, the plaintiff will simply WIN a default judgment against you.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">