• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What the heck is a civil judgement and...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cassandra.K

(ARIZONA) If someone is threatening me with a "civil judgement" would we have to go to court first before a "civil judgement" was filed on me? A romantic partner, of two years, gave me a laptop and printer as a gift back in January. He is unhappy with how our relationship turned out and is asking for everything back. I have no reason to return what is rightfully mine. He now lives in Alabama and I live in Arizona and he is threatening to file a "civil judgement" on me. Wouldn't he have to take me to court before any final judgement was placed on me???? Please help walk me through this a little...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This question was answered in your other thread. Yes, he would need to sue you.

sandyclaus

(ARIZONA) If someone is threatening me with a "civil judgement" would we have to go to court first before a "civil judgement" was filed on me? A romantic partner, of two years, gave me a laptop and printer as a gift back in January. He is unhappy with how our relationship turned out and is asking for everything back. I have no reason to return what is rightfully mine. He now lives in Alabama and I live in Arizona and he is threatening to file a "civil judgement" on me. Wouldn't he have to take me to court before any final judgement was placed on me???? Please help walk me through this a little...
Simply put, a JUDGMENT is what happens AFTER a judge has held a hearing and evaluated the case and evidemce.

As a side note, a lot of exes cry foul when relationships end badly, and attempt to reclaim items that were given as gifts to their significant others. Unless there is something very specific (preferably in writing) that says these items were a loan or that you promised to pay the other person back for them, they can sue all they want to get them back. It's HIGHLY unlikely that they would win a judgment in their favor.

bruceli

Not as unlikely as one might think. Depends on the judge and if the OP can show that it was not a gift. If the action took place in Arizona, then he would have to file it there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">