• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What kind of contract...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

prettybaby

What is the name of your state?
CALIFORNIA

An ex-boyfriend owes me money and has verbally agreed to pay me back. I, however, also want him to sign a contract or something in writing saying that he is agreeing to pay me the money he owes. Are there free contracts online that I can download and print? What kind of contract/document do I need for this situation? Please help. Thank you!

dcatz

A promissory note would work.

I don't know whether you'll find one for free, but there are numerous commercial sites that sell legal forms, including state-specific forms, and you could probably find one to download for around $10-12. Try to Google (promissory note)+California.

Oops, just tried it myself, and there are free samples.

racer72

Check your local library. Mine has a file of many legal forms and copies are only 10 cents a page. Office supply stores also sell them for a couple bucks.

What is the name of your state?
CALIFORNIA

An ex-boyfriend owes me money and has verbally agreed to pay me back. I, however, also want him to sign a contract or something in writing saying that he is agreeing to pay me the money he owes. Are there free contracts online that I can download and print? What kind of contract/document do I need for this situation? Please help. Thank you!
doesnt have to be anything "offical".....

simply write the info on a piece of paper and if you want it to be binding for sure, have it notarized with his signature....small claims will accept that as enough.

dcatz

doesnt have to be anything "offical".....
simply write the info on a piece of paper and if you want it to be binding for sure, have it notarized with his signature....small claims will accept that as enough.
If the “piece of paper” lacks the requisite elements of a contract or promissory note, notarizing it will not change the character or cure the defect and Small Claims or any higher court will care but, fortunately, it’s likely that the OP is long gone.

If the “piece of paper” lacks the requisite elements of a contract or promissory note, notarizing it will not change the character or cure the defect and Small Claims or any higher court will care but, fortunately, it’s likely that the OP is long gone.

I, XXXXXXX XXXXX, am loaning XXXXX XXXXX in the sum of $XXXX.XX to be paid in monthly/weekly/daily (whatever is agreed) and paid in full by XXXX 200X.

Sign...
Lender....XXXXXX XXXXXX

I, XXXXX XXXX, am borrowing this money and agree to the above terms......

Sign...
Borrower......XXXXXXX XXXXX

Notarize signatures......

This would be all that is needed in court. Heck, even an oral agreement/handshake is considered a contract. The above would just be better proof.

dcatz

This begs comment.
Is it proof? It's evidence, and Small Claims is pretty relaxed.
Could she do more and better? No offense. I'm sure you're well-intentioned, but she could and, at a cost from free to 10 cents, I hope she did.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">