• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what are my options

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nubia

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN or IL

Ok..while I lived in IL, I sent my computer into a repair shop to be serviced. I was told the repairs would take a couple of days and there would be a 1 week turn around to get my computer back. After 3 weeks, my computer was finally repaired. I ended up moving to Minnesota before the service was completed and informed the repairman of this prior to him shipping the computer and gave him my new address. I promptly paid the service fee via PayPal when he sent the invoice. After a week my computer still hadn't arrived so I called the repair place and was told it should have been there, I asked him if he'd sent it to the right address, he realized that he had not. He then put out a claim with UPS to try to recover the laptop at my old address. After two weeks of not hearing anything from him, I contacted UPS and was told that they had not recovered it and they would not send a claim form to the shipper, since it was not their fault the package was lost.

OK.. I informed him of what UPS said. I pretty much told him that I was unhappy with the service I received since I was out $200 plus my computer was God knows where. He finally told me he would refund my service fee and give my $450 to help replace the computer I'd lost.

I agreed to that and went out and purchased a new computer. This was a week and half ago. Friday, he emailed me and told me to be on the lookout for the check for $450. Today he emails me and tells me that he somehow received my computer and he either wants the $450 check back and I can get my computer back or if I keep the check he wants to keep my computer plus $150 of the $200 service fee.

Here are some key facts:

He sent my computer to the wrong address after I'd given him the correct address.
I paid him in full for the service before I knew he sent it to the wrong address.
We both agreed that i would receive my service fee back and he would send me a check for $450 (my computers worth).

I need to know if I dont return the service fee and keep the check, will he have any legal recourse against me. I dont want to return the fee or the check because I already purchased a new computer and I need the money to pay for it. I no longer want the older computer.

I have all of our communications and can prove everything I've said.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">