• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my options?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aznghtngale

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona
2 years ago in August my boyfriend was approached by our neighbor about a utility truck he had for sale. He told my husband that if he paid $5.00 a month for 1 year and watched his house for 1 year while he was out of town, put the vehicle in my boyfriend's name and insure it, the vehicle would be his free and clear. My boyfriend agreed to the deal. 2 months later the neighbor gave my boyfriend signing the title over to him. (This was done in the presence of a third party.) He pulled his plates and reiterated the original agreement. My boyfriend took the title down to the DMV along with proof of insurance to transfer the title and pay for the registration. He asked the DMV attendant if he needed any other documents and if this neighbor could come back and reposess it. The attendant said since he had not put a lien on the title it was my boyfriends free and clear.
For the next year my boyfriend made payments and house sat. Upon the 1 year anniversary the neighbor confronts my boyfriend in a very public setting, and complains that my boyfirend did not pay for the vehicle and that he doesn't "just doesn't give vehicles away". My boyfriend also has a witness to the neighbor telling his son that he "gave" the vehicle away.
For the last year this neighbor has been harassing me for payments, he never discusses it with my boyfriend. He is now slandering both my and his reputation around our friends and aquaintances.
There has never been an agreement in writing. Every time I am approached on this issue, I tell him to talk to my boyfriend because I do not handle my boyfriend's financial responsibilities.
I guess my main questions are:
1. Is my boyfriend under financial obligation to this person?
2. Is there any way to stop the harassment?
3. Is there legal recourse in the slander?
4. Should we get an attorney to address this issue?

justalayman

so ,did your husband make the payments and watch the house?

. He told my husband that if he paid $5.00 a month for 1 year and watched his house for 1 year while he was out of town, put the vehicle in my boyfriend's name and insure it, the vehicle would be his free and clear
Oh, and your options;

concerning the vehicle sale; none. The deal didn't involve you from all of your statements.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">