• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my rights? What should I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tw1363

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hello, I am in a situation that I need advice on how to handle. Several years ago I loaned a friend some money to purchase a car. WHen doing so, I had a lien on the vehicle that was purchased by this friend. When it came to repayment the friend offered to pay my property taxes. This friend made payment on my propoerty taxes for two years. Little did I know but the payments that were made were made from her company's account. The payments were made directly. After the payments, I signed the title on the vehicle next to lien holders signature. Unaware at the time of the process, I did not provide a release of lien but only signed the title. This friend is now being charged with criminal charges for embezzlement. This friend had stolen over 300k from the company. I had no idea the repayment of the loan I provided was made from the company. The investigator has asked for proof of communication and my checks wrote providing the loan. I have not provided this information yet but have everything prepared to. The company has recently wrote me a letter demanding me to repay them for the amount this friend paid for my taxes. I need to know what are my rights and should I be careful on what I provide to the investigator? Do I have lien rights still to the vehicle since I did not provide a release of lien letter or form? Please help. Thanks so much!

Last edited:

swalsh411

You seem to be assuming that this particular constitution would apply to the OP ;)
Not all at. The Constitution enumerates the unalienable rights of all people regardless of whether or not the government of whatever country they happen to live in recongnizes them. It's what the OP's rights should be therefore I feel an excellent starting point. Maybe he is looking to start a revolution?

tw1363

Not all at. The Constitution enumerates the unalienable rights of all people regardless of whether or not the government of whatever country they happen to live in recongnizes them. It's what the OP's rights should be therefore I feel an excellent starting point. Maybe he is looking to start a revolution?
Here's what my question was. Not sure what happened here.

I am in a situation that I need advice on how to handle. Several years ago I loaned a friend some money to purchase a car. WHen doing so, I had a lien on the vehicle that was purchased by this friend. When it came to repayment the friend offered to pay my property taxes. This friend made payment on my propoerty taxes for two years. Little did I know but the payments that were made were made from her company's account. The payments were made directly. After the payments, I signed the title on the vehicle next to lien holders signature. Unaware at the time of the process, I did not provide a release of lien but only signed the title. This friend is now being charged with criminal charges for embezzlement. This friend had stolen over 300k from the company. I had no idea the repayment of the loan I provided was made from the company. The investigator has asked for proof of communication and my checks wrote providing the loan. I have not provided this information yet but have everything prepared to. The company has recently wrote me a letter demanding me to repay them for the amount this friend paid for my taxes. I need to know what are my rights and should I be careful on what I provide to the investigator? Do I have lien rights still to the vehicle since I did not provide a release of lien letter or form? Please help. Thanks so much!

swalsh411

The civil issue of the company demanding repayment and the criminal investigation are seperate. You do not have to respond to either party. I don't think you should be providing any information to the police without first consulting an attorney. There are a lot of people sitting in prisons who didn't think they did anything wrong but got themselves in the middle of some dirty business by talking to the police.

I don't think the company would be have success suing you unless they could prove you knew the funds were embezzled. Their poor internal controls are not your problem. I wouldn't repond to them at all.

latigo

Do I have lien rights still to the vehicle since I did not provide a release of lien letter or form? Please help. Thanks so much!
No. By signing off on the title as you indicate you released your security interest in the vehicle. No separate “release of lien” was required. (Not unless Texas DMV enjoys keeping tract of a lot of superfluous paper work.)

The company has recently wrote (sic) me a letter demanding me to repay them for the amount this friend paid for my taxes. I need to know what are my rights . . .
If the victimized company can prove that its stolen money was funneled to retire your tax liability, then you were unjustly enriched and are responsible to make restitution. However, there could a statute of limitations issue, so consult with a Texas lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">