• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What next after paying Plaintiff court fees?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mediabox

Illinois

Okay so I have my smalls claims suit filed now, and selected the Certified Mail option for summons. When I left the courthouse I ask the clerk and said to show up on my Return Data, and even pointed out the room # on the receipt. My receipt also has prices for post office and certified mailing fees. I'm confused as what to do next - do I or the courthouse send them the summons via Certified Mail?

As I read the Ilinois FAQ's here Cook County Clerk of the Circuit Court it has two items that are confusing me:

FAQ 1) What must I do after I have completed the Complaint, Summons and Certified Mail forms (if your claim is less than $5,000 and you choose to serve by Certified Mail)?

-- After you have completed the Complaint, Summons and Certified Mail forms (if you qualify to and serve by Certified Mail), get a Return Date from the blackboard in 601 or 602 of the Richard J. Daley Center. You will need to put a Return Date on both the Complaint and Summons forms. The Return Date is important because this is the date by which the party you are suing (the Defendant) must respond.

FAQ 2) What must I do next after I pay the filing and/or Certified Mailing fee and get a case number?

-- After you have paid your filing fee and/or Certified Mail fee (if serving by Certified Mail) and have been issued a case number, you must serve the Defendant with a Complaint and Summons. It is important that the Defendant is served with your lawsuit (a copy of the Complaint and Summons) within 30 days of the date you filed the lawsuit. Once the Defendant is served with your lawsuit, by law, he or she must file an answer or Appearance in Room 602 in the Richard J. Daley Center on or before the Return Date or “Response Day.”

So, do I send the defendants something via certified mail or will the court do it for me? I gave them 3 complete copies of the paperwork for the 2 defendants, and myself. Initially the clerks looked at me funny the first time I tried to file asking where the 2 other copies were ( I imagine for each defendant).

BTW, This small claims stuff is a PITA.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">