• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what is a pending civil or small claims lawsuit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sduves

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ny
if i tell someone there is a pending civil or small claims lawsuit against them, what does that mean? does it have to actually be filed? because i told a third party there is a pending lawsuit again a person because i intend to file a lawsuit, and i don't want to get sued for defamation.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
if i tell someone there is a pending civil or small claims lawsuit against them, what does that mean? does it have to actually be filed? because i told a third party there is a pending lawsuit again a person because i intend to file a lawsuit, and i don't want to get sued for defamation.
If the law suit hasn't been filed, then it is not "pending"

HomeGuru

**A: my response is pending the actual filing of the court complaint.

BL

If the claim hasn't been filed , then it's not pending .

Look up defamation of character .

sduves

I just clarified to this third party that the case has not yet been filed.

but if i hadn't does that constitute defamation? in ordinary usage of the word "pending" just means it is in the future. i fully intend to file a lawsuit if the other person does not do something. i said it was pending only because it wasnt filed yet and that's what i thought pending means.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">