• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What price should I be paying?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dmil

What is the name of your state? Florida

I damaged a table at someones home. The owner of the table is threating to sue me in small claims court for the price of a new replacement table. They bought the table as a package with the chairs for $575. To buy a replacement table seperately cost $299. I called the store to find out what the price was for the table as part of the package and it was $259. So my question is am I responsible to pay what they originially paid for the table, $259, as part of the package or am I responsible for the what it cost now to buy a new table which is $299? Also if anyone is questioning why I am not trying to get it repaired it is because that cost more then a new table.

dmil

At the time of the damage, 4 months old. As of today 5 months old. A new table was purchased without my knowledge and now they want me to pay for it.

Maiasaura

If the table is totally unrepairable, you would possibly be liable for the replacement cost of the table as it was before it was broken -- a 10 year old beat-up table is not worth the same as a brand new table, for instance.

BelizeBreeze

dmil said:
At the time of the damage, 4 months old. As of today 5 months old. A new table was purchased without my knowledge and now they want me to pay for it.
It would seem by your own post that you are liable for the damages and recognize that fact. Because the table was new at the time of the damage, pay for it and move on.

dmil

Just making sure I am not paying more then I need to, since the orginal table was purchased for less then the replacement. Thanks for all the help.

BelizeBreeze

dmil said:
Just making sure I am not paying more then I need to, since the orginal table was purchased for less then the replacement. Thanks for all the help.
Just remember, things are always cheaper as a part of a group. But you're welcome nonetheless.:)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Buy a new set and have it delivered to their house...either that or just suck up the $40 difference...

dmil

now that you all have advised me that owe the higher price for the table my next question is this same friend broke my car door handle and it cost $250 to fix. Is it in my right to just pay the difference between the door handle and the table which now is approximately 100 when you take into consideration that $299 table comes to $350 with tax and delivery?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">