• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What shoould my next step be

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jb1983

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I am going through a unlawful detainer suit with my landlord
first of all i withheld my rent due to a roach issuse ive been living with since my move in over a year ago
the landlord sprayed 1 time in the 2nd month but after failed to make the repairs after several verbal requests and 3 written which have all been documented and according to the ST of CA consumer affairs "Tenant laws and rights "published on the CA.GOV website i had the legal right to withhold rent if the landlord failed to make repairs if the problem was a health issue

any way i went to court and the landlord and i went into mediation there i was told i did the right thing in my written and verbal request according to the mediator then the landlord was ask what he wanted and he stated he wanted possesion only so the mediator tells me that the landlord isnt asking for back rent and ask what i wanted i stated i had no problem leaving but
my personal belongings were infested with ****roaches from the neglect on his end
"i have roaches in my microwave , tv , computers even found them in the hinges of my fish tank stand "and leaving was not going to make that go away all i would be doing is taking them with me to infest some one elses property
my question is a postponment have been filed and the landlord is suppose to figure out a solution like a fumigation and we go back in 2 weeks my options are i can leave if he fumigates or go to the judge and take my chances on a eviction but my fear is that even with a fumigation some of the roaches are still going to survive and go with me should i take it to the judge i have pictures of all the damage after my third notice and my rent withholding he hired a company to spray but i live in a apartment and am told he has to treat the entire building for the issue to be resolved they are german roaches and are worse since the spraying
what should i do and request
i was told i should request back rent i have paid to be reimbursted due to me paying for full rent for a clean enviorment that i never recieved

Last edited:

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I am going through a unlawful detainer suit with my landlord
first of all i withheld my rent due to a roach issuse ive been living with since my move in over a year ago
the landlord sprayed 1 time in the 2nd month but after failed to make the repairs after several verbal requests and 3 written which have all been documented and according to the ST of CA consumer affairs "Tenant laws and rights "published on the CA.GOV website i had the legal right to withhold rent if the landlord failed to make repairs if the problem was a health issue

any way i went to court and the landlord and i went into mediation there i was told i did the right thing in my written and verbal request according to the mediator then the landlord was ask what he wanted and he stated he wanted possesion only so the mediator tells me that the landlord isnt asking for back rent and ask what i wanted i stated i had no problem leaving but
my personal belongings were infested with ****roaches from the neglect on his end
"i have roaches in my microwave , tv , computers even found them in the hinges of my fish tank stand "and leaving was not going to make that go away all i would be doing is taking them with me to infest some one elses property
my question is a postponment have been filed and the landlord is suppose to figure out a solution like a fumigation and we go back in 2 weeks my options are i can leave if he fumigates or go to the judge and take my chances on a eviction but my fear is that even with a fumigation some of the roaches are still going to survive and go with me should i take it to the judge i have pictures of all the damage after my third notice and my rent withholding he hired a company to spray but i live in a apartment and am told he has to treat the entire building for the issue to be resolved they are german roaches and are worse since the spraying
what should i do and request
i was told i should request back rent i have paid to be reimbursted due to me paying for full rent for a clean enviorment that i never recieved
What is addition rent you paid while having roaches going to do for you not taking roaches with you ?

Correct , the whole Build. needs treating .There is a crystallized substance a professional can use and in one treatment kill them all or most of them .

They have to use that here in a 100 plus unit Build. about every few months .

They treated about 1 1/2 months ago and I haven't seen only but maybe one , if it was a roach.

Insist on such a treatment if they are that bad , and you don't want to take them with you .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">