• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what should I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cculon

What is the name of your state?CA
I have won the small court recently because my "enemy" did not show up twice. Now what should I do for the next phase? Can that person appeal even he did not show up twice?

Thank You

JETX

cculon said:
I have won the small court recently because my "enemy" did not show up twice. Now what should I do for the next phase? Can that person appeal even he did not show up twice?
There are several things they could do....
1) File an appeal until the judgment becomes final, or
2) File a motion to vacate (since this was a default judgment), or
3) Nothing and allow the judgment to become final.

cculon

even the judge determine I won twice?

Thank you for your information. I still don't understand why my opponent has that much rights to appeal even he intentionally did not show up on the court twice!! He already file a motion to vacate and did not show up. (I live in California)

Also, if I become a resident of another state now, and if in case an appeal happens, do I have to show up to the court again? If yes, can I ask for the airplane ticket reimbursement if the judgment becomes final?
Thank you for your help.

JETX

cculon said:
Also, if I become a resident of another state now, and if in case an appeal happens, do I have to show up to the court again?
Unless you want to lose by default, yes.

If yes, can I ask for the airplane ticket reimbursement if the judgment becomes final?
Absolutely. You can ask for anything you want. But the court will NOT grant your request for travel expenses. They are simply a cost of litigation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">