• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What should my next steps be?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mzbmer

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? MD

Hello all, In 2001 I went into a contractual written agreement with someone to loan them 1500.00. I did my part by loaning them the money. I was called to active duty in 2002 (where I still am now, will be out shortly). The last time I spoke with them was in 2001 before i went on active duty, where they stated they were not going to pay me back the money. I immediatly filed in small claims court, of course the person moved and where not able to be served. Since I have been on active duty I have found out their SSN, I contacted a process server and paid them a small amount to locate this person since I am unable to because of where I am. They of course dont call me I have to always call them to find out the progress of my case, they said they tried to serve this person at the last address known but the person was not there. I asked them to check other avenues, like dmv, job, tax return. they told me it will cost me more money. It seems that they are not really working on this. It may not be alot of money but it is mine, and I want it back. Aren't we all just a SSN number anyway!

Any help is always greaty appreciated
I LOVE This site

JETX

mzbmer said:
Hello all, In 2001 I went into a contractual written agreement with someone to loan them 1500.00. I did my part by loaning them the money. I was called to active duty in 2002 (where I still am now, will be out shortly). The last time I spoke with them was in 2001 before i went on active duty, where they stated they were not going to pay me back the money. I immediatly filed in small claims court, of course the person moved and where not able to be served. Since I have been on active duty I have found out their SSN, I contacted a process server and paid them a small amount to locate this person since I am unable to because of where I am. They of course dont call me I have to always call them to find out the progress of my case, they said they tried to serve this person at the last address known but the person was not there. I asked them to check other avenues, like dmv, job, tax return. they told me it will cost me more money. It seems that they are not really working on this. It may not be alot of money but it is mine, and I want it back. Aren't we all just a SSN number anyway!

Any help is always greaty appreciated
I LOVE This site
What a wonderful and heart-felt story. Please write again when you get a chance. However, it would REALLY, REALLY be a good idea if you at least were to ask a question.... after all, it is kind of hard to give valid advice when we don't know your question, huh??

Oh, and guess what??? The SOL (Statute of Limitations) for enforcing a written contract in Maryland is 3 years. So, if the last activity (contract signing, payment, etc.) was MORE than 3 years ago, you have likely lost the chance to pursue your claim.

Last edited:

mzbmer

Thanks for the reply Jetx, I have actually filed for this each year athough I have bee on active duty, as I understood it the sol des not apply in this case Is this true? Oh the question is is there way to cate this person by their SSN without having to hire laywer

again thanks sooooo much :)

mzbmer

Oh and had I not been called to active duty I'm sure this woud have been resolved by now, but I am in another state and I didnt have the resources to pursue this as I would have liked

mzbmer

Oh, and guess what??? The SOL (Statute of Limitations) for enforcing a written contract in Maryland is 3 years. So, if the last activity (contract signing, payment, etc.) was MORE than 3 years ago, you have likely lost the chance to pursue your claim.

Jetx, as of Oct of 2004 I tried to have this person served with a writ of summons

Thanx always

JETX

mzbmer said:
Thanks for the reply Jetx, I have actually filed for this each year athough I have bee on active duty, as I understood it the sol des not apply in this case Is this true?
No. Your filing does nothing to extend the SOL.

Oh the question is is there way to cate this person by their SSN without having to hire laywer
There are several services that can provide the requested information if you have a permissable purpose. BTW, you do NOT need the persons SSN to file a lawsuit. You just need their proper name and current location.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">