• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what type of case do I have?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nachobear

I am in California

so a couple years back I trusted my uncle in buying a car through a middleman, he didn't own the car but was helping to sell it, from what I heard the guy had no paperwork, I brought the car and transferred it under my name, later on I didn't like it so I went back and did a return, no paperworks were sign just a verbal agreement, so I gave him my car keys and the car back, weeks later my uncle heard he was gonna move, I came back and ask him if that's true, he denied it, found out later he moved, that was 2 years ago, found out this year he brought registration in 2014 even though I did a non operation in 2013, then I asked the dmv about the status(registration) of the car by email, they said it got junked this year, some other guy that I don't know junked it, and the cops don't want to help its a civil matter and the first cop said its still under my name, but the dmv says its not under my name, the second cop maybe thinks that the middleman junk the car which is not true, but still wont open a case, I said: but the guy did something illegal, sold the car illegally, the cop said its still civil, I have old bills of his wife who is involved, this couple has been moving around alot but I do know the location of the wifes parents, the junk yard brought the car even though the owner(me) didn't sign anything

what type/category is this case in for the middleman and his wife and do I have a case against the junkyard? Did the junkyard do anything illegal

some DMV paperworks were involved though like a duplicate title form

Silverplum

I am in California

so a couple years back I trusted my uncle in buying a car through a middleman, he didn't own the car but was helping to sell it, from what I heard the guy had no paperwork, I brought the car and transferred it under my name, later on I didn't like it so I went back and did a return, no paperworks were sign just a verbal agreement, so I gave him my car keys and the car back, weeks later my uncle heard he was gonna move, I came back and ask him if that's true, he denied it, found out later he moved, that was 2 years ago, found out this year he brought registration in 2014 even though I did a non operation in 2013, then I asked the dmv about the status(registration) of the car by email, they said it got junked this year, some other guy that I don't know junked it, and the cops don't want to help its a civil matter and the first cop said its still under my name, but the dmv says its not under my name, the second cop maybe thinks that the middleman junk the car which is not true, but still wont open a case, I said: but the guy did something illegal, sold the car illegally, the cop said its still civil, I have old bills of his wife who is involved, this couple has been moving around alot but I do know the location of the wifes parents, the junk yard brought the car even though the owner(me) didn't sign anything

what type/category is this case in for the middleman and his wife and do I have a case against the junkyard? Did the junkyard do anything illegal

some DMV paperworks were involved though like a duplicate title form
I am looking for damages for the car and for the stress/anxiety I have been having plus pain due to the stress like ulcers and such
Goodness.

I don't think, but could be wrong, that you can sue for stress/anxiety in small claims court.

nachobear

I am looking for damages for the car and for the stress/anxiety I have been having plus pain due to the stress like ulcers and such
isn't there something about emotional distress with the Code Civ. Proc. § 116.220 of California, I am unsure myself if this fits anything to my stress

justalayman

the car is under my name before the junking, that's a reason to sue as well
Didn't you file the proper paperwork with the state of California giving notice of the transfer to another party? If not then everything that is happening is due to your failure so no, you have nothin to sue fo

If you filed the paperwork you have nothing to sue for either.

nachobear

Didn't you file the proper paperwork with the state of California giving notice of the transfer to another party? If not then everything that is happening is due to your failure so no, you have nothin to sue fo

If you filed the paperwork you have nothing to sue for either.
if no money is given would you do a transfer?

still I have no answer to my question

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">