• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What would the judge say??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trout2k3

What is the name of your state? MS

Since the Katrina Hurricane, I lost my job..and I had to have my vehicle reposesed. the company has since sold the car and i now owe the remaining balance on it. which i found out is just under $4000.00 Someone from the company called and said i need to make an arrangement on the payments for this balance. I offered her $250.00 a month. That is all I can afford. I live in a FEMA trailor, i am currently working a contract job, I told her, she said they can't accept that, that it needs to be atleast $400.00. I told her I can't do that. She said that her company was going to take legal action against me.
A lot of my friends say that judge will throw it out, because i offered to pay and they declined it. Please if you know more...could you let me know what you think??

I need ..

trout2k3

are you a lawyer? I would understand the judge not throwing it out...but can he increase the amount? I mean how do you squeeze blood from a turnup?? I am a single mom, living in a fema trailor..contract job...where is the money going to come from??

racer72

Judgments are good for up to 20 years. Someday in the future you are going to be looking for a more permanant situation and guess what will be in your way? Some judgment creditors can be visious in their collection attempts, others have the patience of Job and will wait years for an opportune time to collect. The judge really does not have the authority to set the monthly payment amount, that is strictly an agreement between you and the creditor. And the creditor at this time has everything in his court and you have nothing, guess who is going to dictate the agreement?

trout2k3

well like i said before...can't take what isn't there, if i have it later, yea then i will give it..but if i don't have it...i can't do anything about it. thanks though

badapple40

If it is that bad, you need to look at bankruptcy. With the amendments to the bankruptcy act, I'd expect that you wouldn't get the debt discharged, but the court might set you on a reasonable repayment schedule or reduce the amount owed (discharge part of the debt).

trout2k3

thank you, i do need to look into that. after the hurricane, all my bills went out of control. there is nothing like losing everything you had, your home, you job, everything..kinda sucks. lol ohh well, i am not the only one....and we will recover someday. thank you again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">