• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What's the chances I'll win. Horse trainer ripped me off.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WalkingAround

MISSISSIPPI

So I posted an ad looking for a horse trainer. I'm from a very rural area and they are usually far and few between. My horse rides, as I've rode her many times. She has over the years from not being messed with much became ornery and will try to buck, which her bucks are never hard and you can see she doesn't want to throw you off, just doesn't want to be rode, or "show you who's boss"

I recently started back to school and work 2 jobs and I wanted a trainer so that I could get her loading in a trailer to move her closer to me. She's 45 mins from me right now. I'm knowledgeable of horses and have broke many of them, but I haven't had the time to give my horse what she needs to tune her up.

Anyways, the lady first offered her services to me. She knew where I lived and how far that was from her (over 100 miles) she knew that my training equipment was limited to an uncovered, small round pen. She offered 30 days at a set price. I noticed she wasn't coming out very much and just assumed she was going to do 30 days regardless of how long it took. Well towards the end when she asked for the 2nd half of payment, she informed me that 30 days did not mean 30 days, it meant 4 days a week for 4 weeks. This made me very angry, but I expressed my frustrations politely by saying that should have been stated from the start. Also, as long as she does what was promised, I don't care if it took only 5 days. She stated she would fix her bucking, make her load in a trailer, and allow you to mess with her feet. Well she only cane out 12 days.. and was supposed to come back after the last half was paid to make up a few days she missed but u haven't heard from her since. She was rode one time in the round pen for 15 mins, that's the only time she had bee mounted. She was never worked on trailer loading and she still doesn't like her feet touched, she jerks them away and moves. I signed a contract. Her contract, it specifically says includes 30 days of training for said horse at owners facility. I didn't date it for the end date however, but the start date was there. No I've threatened her with small claims she finally responses after 2 weeks of nothing and gives me all these excuses, some that were flat out lies about our agreement and says it doesn't matter bc she didn't break the law. I have every conversation we've had saved for the record. Since her contract says 30 days of training, it isn't my job to know the " general rule "of trainers is not 30 actual days but more 16-20, can I get her on that? Because her contract should state less than 30 if that were the case. It sounds ridiculous but this is only over 400 dollars. Divided in to the days I say she came, 12, she owes me 159. Bit turns out ot may be less, i gace her 2 days that i was unsure of, and she tells me that a time or 2 she couldnt catch my horse so she didnt work with her. So it could only be about 8-9. But it's not just ab the money, it's the principle. I'm furious that she's tried avoiding me, and pulling the wool over my eyes. We agreeded on a service and how it was to be preformed and she was paid, but didn't hold up her end.

quincy

MISSISSIPPI

So I posted an ad looking for a horse trainer ...

... I recently started back to school and work 2 jobs and I wanted a trainer so that I could get her loading in a trailer to move her closer to me ...

... the lady first offered her services to me ... She offered 30 days at a set price. I noticed she wasn't coming out very much and just assumed she was going to do 30 days regardless of how long it took.
You interviewed only one trainer? How did you "notice" that this trainer was not coming out much?

Well towards the end when she asked for the 2nd half of payment, she informed me that 30 days did not mean 30 days, it meant 4 days a week for 4 weeks.
You should have informed the trainer at that time, and before paying the second half of the payment, that the contract she signed says "30 days" and you expected her to honor the signed contract.

... She stated she would fix her bucking, make her load in a trailer, and allow you to mess with her feet. Well she only cane out 12 days.. and was supposed to come back after the last half was paid to make up a few days she missed but u haven't heard from her since. She was rode one time in the round pen for 15 mins, that's the only time she had bee mounted. She was never worked on trailer loading and she still doesn't like her feet touched, she jerks them away and moves. I signed a contract. Her contract, it specifically says includes 30 days of training for said horse at owners facility. I didn't date it for the end date however, but the start date was there.
You have proof that your horse still bucks, does not load into a trailer and does not like her feet messed with, but what proof do you have that the trainer only came out 12 days and only rode your horse around the pen once for 15 minutes and never worked on trailer loading? Although the end result is not what you bargained for, I do not see where you have gathered evidence to prove the trainer did not work with your horse.

... Since her contract says 30 days of training, it isn't my job to know the " general rule "of trainers is not 30 actual days but more 16-20, can I get her on that? Because her contract should state less than 30 if that were the case.
I agree that the contract binds BOTH of you legally to its terms as outlined in the contract. If you can show that the trainer did not work 30 days as outlined in the contract, you could be entitled to a partial refund of the amount you paid. Thirty days is 30 days, not 16 or 20 ... unless 30 days is defined as "30 days means 16-20 days" in the contract.

... It sounds ridiculous but this is only over 400 dollars. Divided in to the days I say she came, 12, she owes me 159. Bit turns out ot may be less, i gace her 2 days that i was unsure of, and she tells me that a time or 2 she couldnt catch my horse so she didnt work with her. So it could only be about 8-9. But it's not just ab the money, it's the principle. I'm furious that she's tried avoiding me, and pulling the wool over my eyes. We agreeded on a service and how it was to be preformed and she was paid, but didn't hold up her end.
You can file a small claims suit against the trainer if you are unable to come to an amicable agreement with her (for a refund or more training or whatever). You seem low on evidence showing exactly what the trainer did for the four hundred dollars so, if you decide to take her to court, you will want to work on your proofs.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">