• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Whats my legal recourse to get car out of name or sold

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coleyown1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? DC
My exwife has a car that is still in both our names mine is primary. I dont want the car. She is making late payments and when we got divorced we had a verbal agreement that she would sell it or trade it in. Its been over a year and she still hasnt done that and now she is late on payments and Its hurting my credit and my job is in trouble now cause its messing with my clearence. What can I do can I sue her make her trade it in. Is there anything I can do about this legal wise. I plan on seeking a lawyer but I would like to have a dirction to go in before i do that. Thanks for the help

racer72

Because you are also legally liable for the debt you have an obligation to mitigate any damages that could be caused by the late payments. This means you can make the payments before it affects your credit. Then at the time the vehicle is paid off or traded in, you can attempt to seek redress for the verbal agreement between you and your ex. You should have had this added to your divorce decree, you would have a much easier time dealing with the problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">