• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What's Next?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sara.Whitney

What is the name of your state? New York
I have a question about a civil dispute between an ex roommate and myself.

While she was living with me I gave her money to put into her bank account so we could pay the electric bill for the month. She used the "one time payment" option on the Nyseg website and entered her banking information to complete the transaction. Last month, I made a payment of $175.45 through the same website to keep my electricity on, not realizing that her account information had been saved on the site. When I made the payment it came out of HER bank account and not mine.

She brought it to my attention what had happened we made a verbal agreement that I would pay her $200 in return.

We have both already spoken with a police officer but he told us that he cannot help us as this is a civil matter not a criminal matter. I have been making every attemtp I can to get money so I can pay her back.

Last week, I met with our witness, who is also acting as the mediator, and gave him $50 to give to her and had him sign a receipt. She is now trying to return the money and not accept it for she did not give him permission to sign anything on her behalf when it comes to me and this situation when all he signed was a receipt stating he received the money for her. I do not know what to do next.

Last edited:

quincy

What is the name of your state? New York
I have a question about a civil dispute between an ex roommate and myself.

While she was living with me I gave her money to put into her bank account so we could pay the electric bill for the month. She used the "one time payment" option on the Nyseg website and entered her banking information to complete the transaction. Last month, I made a payment of $175.45 through the same website to keep my electricity on, not realizing that her account information had been saved on the site. When I made the payment it came out of HER bank account and not mine.

She brought it to my attention what had happened we made a verbal agreement that I would pay her $200 in return.

We have both already spoken with a police officer but he told us that he cannot help us as this is a civil matter not a criminal matter. I have been making every attemtp I can to get money so I can pay her back.

Last week, I met with our witness, who is also acting as the mediator, and gave him $50 to give to her and had him sign a receipt. She is now trying to return the money and not accept it for she did not give him permission to sign anything on her behalf when it comes to me and this situation when all he signed was a receipt stating he received the money for her. I do not know what to do next.
How were you able to log into her account with NYSEG?

If your gas and electric was paid with money through her account, why don't you have the money still in YOUR account to pay her in full for your gas and electric?

Something sounds very off.

Sara.Whitney

How were you able to log into her account with NYSEG?

If your gas and electric was paid with money through her account, why don't you have the money still in YOUR account to pay her in full for your gas and electric?

Something sounds very off.
It wasn't HER account that I logged into. She logged into MY nyseg account as all the bills were in my name. She used HER banking account to pay the bill as I gave her the money to pay the bill when she was living here. As for why my account doesn't have the money, the day the transaction was made was a pay day, so the electric bill was paid and I ran errands like grocery shopping and getting a new card for my phone.

quincy

It wasn't HER account that I logged into. She logged into MY nyseg account as all the bills were in my name. She used HER banking account to pay the bill as I gave her the money to pay the bill when she was living here. As for why my account doesn't have the money, the day the transaction was made was a pay day, so the electric bill was paid and I ran errands like grocery shopping and getting a new card for my phone.
That still doesn't make sense. The NYSEG billing and payment section goes by the account number and the last four digits of one's bank account so, if you paid, you would have needed to enter HER bank account number information and not yours for the money to be deducted from her account.

Here are links to account information and paying the bill online:
http://sso1.nyseg.com/SSO/Logon.aspx
http://ebiz1.nyseg.com/cusweb/OneTimePayment.aspx

And, if you did not have any money deducted from your account to pay the bill (although you assumed it was deducted), you would still have that money left in your account to pay your friend back.

Could you please explain how this could have happened the way you say it did? Thanks.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
What HAPPENS is you either pay her IN FULL now or expect to see her in small claims court. Oh, and when you get to court, don't be surprised if you are also assessed court fees, legal expenses, PLUS any fines or charges your ex-roommate had to pay if your irresponsibility resulted in overdraft fee(s) for her.

Your argument is beyond bogus. When you make these transactions they don't necessarily go through the same day, so only a FOOL would start debit card crazy without keeping track of what they've already spent. Furthermore, a SANE person actually labels the accounts on file with something OBVIOUS so that they won't be confused - like, Sara Bank vs Lucy Checking.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">