• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What's right is right...Right?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

allisonp320

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia - O.k., This guy I know agreed to do some mechanic work for another guy in lieu of an old pick up truck as payment. Well,he finished the work for the man. He also decided to sell the truck to someone before he had the truck(or title I should say) put into his name. When the man he did the work for heard that he had sold the truck prior to getting the title signed over,he went and got the truck from the person it had been sold to,saying he had every right to. What should the guy that did all that mechanic work do,because he has no title,and really no proof except witnesses that he did the work to earn the truck. Should he take hinm to small claims,or what? Thanks for any help!!:)

libra58

Right is sometimes Left

I am not an attorney. Um..until the title was or is signed over the man that expected it in lieu of money has no legal ownership of the truck..He put the cart before the horse selling a truck he did not hold title to and the titled owner had every right to claim the car back..after all as long as it's titled in the orig. owners name he would be liable for anything that could happen as the result of the truck being used, the man that did the work should go back to the legal owner of the truck and see if it can be worked out and if the truck WITH title will be turned over as agreed, if not Small claims would probably be the way to go as many states will recognize a verbal agreement if well supported, altho it's alot easier if some sort of agreement was in writing. He really should have left the truck were it sat until He had clear title...:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">