• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When caring for someone's dog, does the own provide compensation for items bought?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dpalmer5

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri
My mom's boyfriend breeds dogs for money. I am caring for 2 (the rest of the litter died) of these puppies. The day I began bottle-feeding them, he offered to give me money from one puppy. In eight weeks, he hasn't volunteered time or money AT ALL to help care for the puppies. Can I ask him to compensate me for the supplies I bought (food, blankets, collars) if it wasn't mentioned in our verbal agreement? Am I entitled to any money at all?

Silverplum

My mom's boyfriend breeds dogs for money. I am caring for 2 (the rest of the litter died) of these puppies. The day I began bottle-feeding them, he offered to give me money from one puppy. In eight weeks, he hasn't volunteered time or money AT ALL to help care for the puppies. Can I ask him to compensate me for the supplies I bought (food, blankets, collars) if it wasn't mentioned in our verbal agreement? Am I entitled to any money at all?
Verbal agreements are (generally) unenforceable.

Think about it. How can you prove what you claim he said he'd do? You can't.

sandyclaus

The time to discuss compensation or reimbursement of expenses was BEFORE you took on the task of caring for the puppies. You aren't entitled to a benefit that you never discussed before performing on the contract, and unless he agrees, you cannot force him to change the terms and accept liability for expenses now unless he decides he wants to.

You can certainly ask NOW, but what are you going to tell him when he says NO?

If you don't want to pay for the feed and care of these puppies, give them back to mom's boyfriend and let HIM assume the costs and expenses of raising them on his own.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">