• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When using a packaging company, who is responsible if the item you ship arrives broke

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hlstarkey

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
I sold an item that was of considerable value and it needed to packaged and shipped. I thought that, to be on the safe side I would use a company that packages/ships items professionally. They mailed it out and the man that bought the item says that it arrived broken. I did insure the item but ups denied the claim stating that it wasn't packaged properly. I had to refund my customer his payment. Is the packaging company then obligated to repay me for the cost of the item? Also, I sold the item for less than what it is valued at...I insured the item for what it was valued at. If they are obligated to pay me, how much should I expect to get back, the value of the item or how much my customer paid for it?

OHRoadwarrior

Before getting too excited, I suggest you contact the shipper/packer and attempt to collect what you lost on selling the item. The value of the item is clear. The value is what you sold it for.

tranquility

I agree. The value of the item is what it was sold for in an arm's length transaction.

As to the packing, what did your agreement say?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">