• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Where can I file my claim?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bringslite1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I'm suing my former bank over their closure of a fraud claim that I had with them. I filed the original claim while I was overseas (over the phone). Since then I moved to Indiana, where the rest of the events leading up to the issue happened. They have no branch in Indiana, but they have branches all over the country. My original account was opened in California. The claim office I'm dealing with is in TX:confused:

-If I have more than one option of state where I can file should I consider states that do not allow lawyers in their small claims (i.e. CA)?

-Also, can I sue for more than the amount in question (i.e. for my sleepless nights, and hours of frustration over the phone)?

* Please note that I even offered to settle the dispute by them giving me credits for the NSF fees that had happened as a result of the original claim (which is far less than the actual claim amount), but they refused. I send them a certified letter asking them to settle this matter mutually, but received no answer, so do these steps prove that I tried to solve the matter before going to court?

Antigone*

A charge that appeared on my bank statement that I have no recollection of!
What reasons did your. Bank give for denying your fraud claim?

When did the fraud happen? When did you file the claim? Were you asked to sign and return an affadavit of fraud? If so, did you comply? Dates please.

LastBattleCry

"for my sleepless nights, and hours of frustration over the phone"

I wish I could make money by sueing for that, I'd be rich. The problem on this aspect will be PROOF OF DAMAGES and AMOUNTS. "emotional distress", "harassment" are very difficult to collect for usually.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">