• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Where do I file suit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jld22

What is the name of your state? VA

I was working as an independent contractor for a small non-profit in VA. The org. started having financial issues and terminated my contract. The contract stated that I would be paid a severance payment of $5000 by a certain date. The org. could not pay the full amount on time, so I signed another agreement stating that I would receive the full amount on 9/15/2006 or interest would start to accrue. I received only $1250 on
9/15/2006.

In early October, the org. was "transferred" to another person in the state of TN. I don't know the details of the "transfer" but I do know that the org. is still doing business under the same name, but they are not showing as registered under that name in the state of TN. I contacted this new person regarding the amount owed to me and I had several email conversations with him about it. He told me continuously that I would receive the payment when the "transfer" was complete.

As you might have guessed, he stopped replying to my emails and I haven't received a cent.

My questions are:
1) Am I able to file a small claims suit or a warrant in debt against the org?

2) Where should I file the suit? VA were the contract was signed or TN where the org. is now located?

3) How can I find out if the business is operating under another name or as part of another business and who to name as the registered agent? This new guy has several businesses and I can't find any of them listed on the TN state corporations website.

Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">