• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who do I go after for money borrowed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KimmyInIllinois

I am in Illinois....here's the problems. About 3 years ago a friend of my mom's called and begged us to loan her $2,500 for house taxes. Her husband is a moron and acts like he makes more than he actually does. They didn't have the money for the taxes and if she would have told him this, he would have slapped her around. We ageed and then she said she would pay us $500 a month. It took her a year to pay me $100. I have the receipt where I went to get the money order and her papers dated from the house taxes that I took downtown to pay. Her husband's name is on the house and she doesn't work. If I file to take her to court for borrowing the money, can I garish his wages or is this only her I can go after to get my money back? Can I put both their names on the paper or only her's because she borrowed the money and he never knew? My only other option is telling her husband to pay me my money because I paid for his taxes. Any suggestions?

JETX

KimmyInIllinois said:
If I file to take her to court for borrowing the money, can I garish his wages or is this only her I can go after to get my money back?
Go ahead and name both of them in your suit, though it is possible that 'hubby' could argue that he was not a party to your 'loan'.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">