• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who to file against?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JM2010

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIFORNIA

I am filing suit against an auto repair shop. I have already reported them to the BAR and they closed my case (even stating they have broken some of the Auto Repair Act) So now it is time I file in small claims. However I am having problems identifying who I should put as the defendant. In our county - REPAIR SHOP XYZ's owner is BUSINESS ABC INC. . When I go to the CA Secretary of State business name search, I see that the BUSINESS ABC INC. is owned by JOHN DOE. Should I be selecting "Individual DBA" (And sue JOHN DOE DBA BUSINESS ABC Inc.) or "Corporation DBA." (BUSINESS ABC INC. DBA REPAIR SHOP XYZ's) I had the work done at REPAIR SHOP XYZ by JOHN DOE. So I am a bit confused as to which option to choose from. Thanks ahead of time for any help I can get.

Thanks!

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIFORNIA

I am filing suit against an auto repair shop. I have already reported them to the BAR and they closed my case (even stating they have broken some of the Auto Repair Act) So now it is time I file in small claims. However I am having problems identifying who I should put as the defendant. In our county - REPAIR SHOP XYZ's owner is BUSINESS ABC INC. . When I go to the CA Secretary of State business name search, I see that the BUSINESS ABC INC. is owned by JOHN DOE. Should I be selecting "Individual DBA" (And sue JOHN DOE DBA BUSINESS ABC Inc.) or "Corporation DBA." (BUSINESS ABC INC. DBA REPAIR SHOP XYZ's) I had the work done at REPAIR SHOP XYZ by JOHN DOE. So I am a bit confused as to which option to choose from. Thanks ahead of time for any help I can get.

Thanks!
**A: named Defendants should be both John personallyand the corporation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">