• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who has jurisdiction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bmall2990

I live in North carolina.
I sued my exhusband who was living in maryland and won a judgement against him. A month later him and his wife moved to California. She is in the US Army so they are still considered residents of maryland. I am now trying to collect the judgement but do I continue going through the Maryland courts or do I need to register my judgement and go through the California courts?
Thanks

latigo

If it’s your intention to attempt to enforce satisfaction of the judgment in California, you’d need to apply to a Superior Court and have the judgment “entered” in that state.

The procedure is set out in the California Code of Civil Procedure at Sections 1710.10-1710.65.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">