• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who is liable for cost of Bridesmaid dresses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jar0501

What is the name of your state? Maryland
in the event the bride drops a bridesmaid from the wedding?
Background:
The bride was a dear friend that asked my sister and myself to be in her wedding. We have put $175.00 down on our dresses. The bridal shop claims we are liable for the remaining $350.00 as does the bride. Unfortunately we had a falling out with the bride and she asked us to drop out of the wedding.
My sister and myself feel that we were asked to leave the bridal party therefore we should not have to pay for dresses we would never have bought had we not been invited to be part of the bridal party.
The bridal shop also informed us that the bride receives the bridesmaid dresses and the bride claims she will be using them when she asks 2 other women to attend her.
This is outrageous behaviour on her part and we want to know if we have a small claims case because we are in essence paying for dresses we will not be wearing nor even receiving AFTER they are worn.
We tried to resolve the issue with the bride but she will not entertain the idea of refunding our money.
Do we have a case?
Regards
J

rmet4nzkx

Yes you have a case, but it could get confusing between oral contracts, written contrscts with the bridal shop and if she actually finds attendents to use the gowns.

BL

jar0501 said:
What is the name of your state? Maryland
in the event the bride drops a bridesmaid from the wedding?
Background:
The bride was a dear friend that asked my sister and myself to be in her wedding. We have put $175.00 down on our dresses. The bridal shop claims we are liable for the remaining $350.00 as does the bride. Unfortunately we had a falling out with the bride and she asked us to drop out of the wedding.
My sister and myself feel that we were asked to leave the bridal party therefore we should not have to pay for dresses we would never have bought had we not been invited to be part of the bridal party.
The bridal shop also informed us that the bride receives the bridesmaid dresses and the bride claims she will be using them when she asks 2 other women to attend her.
This is outrageous behaviour on her part and we want to know if we have a small claims case because we are in essence paying for dresses we will not be wearing nor even receiving AFTER they are worn.
We tried to resolve the issue with the bride but she will not entertain the idea of refunding our money.
Do we have a case?
Regards
J

While I'd normally say the Shop is owed the money by you and your sister,
since the shop is going to give away what you are paying for ,

Each of you write the shop a Return Receipt Certified Letter .
In that letter advise them since they are giving the dresses to a third party , you have NO obligation to pay for them . They NEED to bill the Party that they are releasing the Dresses to.

Further more you are demanding the return of the Deposit amounts .

JETX

I agree with Blonde on this one.
And be sure to include that the Bridal Shop, by giving 'your' dresses to a third party has amended any original contract/obligation, if one existed.

The premise is that you and your sister each had a specific contract with the bridal shop. If all had remained, your contractual obligation would have also. However, the bridal shop has waived your obligation by their (presumed) unilateral decision to 'change the contract'.

As for the money you had already paid, you will have to consider a lawsuit against the bride for her 'breach of contract'. The court will then consider ALL the facts of the breach.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">