• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who Owns The Appliance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

athenanike

What is the name of your state? KENTUCKY

Almost 2 years ago my friend purchased a new washer from her relative for $50. She had no washer/dryer hook ups in her apt, so she was storing it in my sisters apt.
My sister never used it, surprisingly :eek: , until a couple of months ago, and she & my friend began talking about my sister purchasing it from her for the $50, but it was never really settled/no money exchanged. My sister did go ahead and hook the unit up and purchase a dryer.
But at the same time, my friend & her family (husband, 2 kids) were preparing to move into a larger home and would then be able to utilize the appliance. I don't think my friend really wants to remove the unit from my sisters place, and would just charge her the $50. But how often does a deal like that come around, and the husband :mad: wants the appliance instead of spending $3-400 on a new unit.
My question is, does my sister have to give up the appliance if they want it?
She did store it for them unused for a long time, they could have used one of their own relatives, so she could have charged them a fee for keeping the appliance all this time.
My solution would be for them to split the cost of a new appliance and let my sister keep the one she already has. Maybe my sister add $50 in with her half of the cost of the appliance.

justalayman

athenanike;1501833].
My question is, does my sister have to give up the appliance if they want it?
yes

, so she could have charged them a fee for keeping the appliance all this time
.not unless they had agreed to it originally or after a time your sis wanted the thing to leave and the friend refused to do so. then it would have become abandoned property after a certain time and could be treated as such. Since your sis continued to allow the storing of the appliance, it is still the friends, without charge.

My solution would be for them to split the cost of a new appliance and let my sister keep the one she already has. Maybe my sister add $50 in with her half of the cost of the appliance.
Since you want to do this, I bet the husband would be more than glad to have you pay his portion.

It's the friends washer. If she wants it back, your sis needs to give it up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">